New User Registration

Moderator: imaqine

New User Registration

Postby bbagnall » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:30 pm

In order to combat the spam that's been plaguing these forums we've added Textual Confirmation for new registrations. It asks a simple question to make sure you are human, and as an added bonus it generates the error "Could not connect to smtp host: 111: Connection refused."

Don't worry about this error and you will be able to login immediately.

We're still trying to figure out how to get email working with Sourceforge and phpBB. If anyone knows about how to solve this issue, let us know.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby bbagnall » Mon May 14, 2007 4:33 am

Our sincere apologies for the recent spam that showed up in the forums. I'm researching why Textual Confirmation didn't prevent this.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby imaqine » Wed May 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Have you deleted the users that have been created to be used for spam? You probably have already seen this link but this might be helpful, http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=427852.

The link above has a bunch of useful mods that you can install for spam.
imaqine

Postby bbagnall » Wed May 23, 2007 4:02 pm

I changed the questions in Textual Confirmation and it seems to have things in control again. The old questions asked for color, so perhaps the spambot broke through by replying with different colors.

The big problem is we haven't been able to use mail sending with Sourceforge. Neither the mail script nor our best guess at their mail server seems to work. If you see a Sourceforge hosted phpBB working with mail, let me know and I'll ask their admin what they did.
bbagnall
Site Admin

New User Registration problem

Postby newUser » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Appreciate you're trying to avoid spamming, but your Textual Confirmation also tends to keep those of us who do not have the NXT kit (i.e. have NXT 2.0 and/or Educational kits) out! Hasty research required on Google to try and figure out the answers!!!
newUser
New User

Postby Rockmaninoff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Agreed, I had to search to find the old model number for the kit. The newer model number, 8547, wasn't recognized. I imagine the educational kit would also not be (9797). As a college student and having tutored kids using the educational kit, that's a pretty large user base that would have difficult accessing the site. I'm sure there's a good amount of people that would get frustrated with registration and decide not to contribute.

Any way to maybe add those two numbers to the acceptable answers for that question?
Rockmaninoff
New User

Re: New User Registration

Postby skoehler » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm

I added the answers for the education kit to the textual confirmation. Also, mailing is working again and registration requires a valid email address.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Re: New User Registration

Postby marvin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Hello,

skoehler wrote:I added the answers for the education kit to the textual confirmation. Also, mailing is working again and registration requires a valid email address.

as the time goes by we now have an EV3 31313 kit with 601 pieces and an EV3 education set 45544 with 541 pieces. It would be great if they were added, too. I had to research, like others here, too...

Thank you :-)

Bye marvin
--
I am feeling very depressed...
marvin
Novice

Return to Website and Forum