Sourceforge mailing list and new platform support

Moderator: imaqine

Sourceforge mailing list and new platform support

Postby cvdenzen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 pm

This post adresses at least two subjects, but I couldn't find the right place for them, if needed I will repost them at the right place.

I am interested in this project and trying to get some more information about current activities and ideas/plans on the project. But I can not access the developers mailing list on sourceforge ("Permission Denied. Access to this page is restricted (either to project members or to project administrators) and you do not meet the requirements to access this page. Please contact the administrator of this project for further assistance.").

The existing forums don't fit my need, they are platform specific, maybe there should be a forum for leJos developers.
My idea is to use the tinyvm part for other microcontrollers (like haikuVM uses it for e.g. Arduino), but then integrated into the leJos project. So there would be only one location to maintain the tinyVM code.

I also would like to replace bcel with asm (bcel is not actively maintained and asm looks quite nice), but that transition is too big for me to do on my own, I would need help from developers of the leJos project. On github you can find my progress on using asm on project HaikuVM2.
cvdenzen
New User

Re: Sourceforge mailing list and new platform support

Postby skoehler » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:14 pm

There's a link to the mailing list on the contacts page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... developers
Can you read the archive when you're logged in to SF? I think I managed to make that possible.

There have been ports of the leJOS VM (which could be called TinyVMs grand grand child) to other platforms. Yet, so far, no code of them made it back to our repositories. Certainly, the NXT is our main target platform (on the EV3 we use oracle's VM). And any contribution that degrades performance or increase code size of the NXT firmware is usually looked at very critically.

Transitioning from bcel to asm might be a serious step. At least, it needs to be well tested. It would be nice to have one minimal patch for review.
If you need help for doing the transition, then this is probably not the right time to ask for it. We're busy with the EV3.

I'm not against what you propose. However, leJOS developers may be busy with other things. On the other hand, it's a good time because we won't be working on the linker/VM code very intensively, making it easy to create patches for it.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Return to Website and Forum