Download Aborted by Antivirus Software

This is the place to ask question about Enchanting, talk about your Enchanting projects or simply find out more about Enchanting on the NXT.

Moderator: clintonb

Download Aborted by Antivirus Software

Postby esandy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

I have Norton 360 antivirus installed on my Win XP computer. Norton 360 aborts the download of all releases of Enchanting Setup version 0.2... although Enchanting version 0.1 downloads OK. The download symptoms are as follows: Watch the progress of the download into the selected folder. You will see the file ...exe.part increasing in size as the download proceeds (may have to close and open the folder to see the size change) while the .exe file size remains 0. When the exe.part file has received the full download, the exe.part file disappears from the folder and the .exe file size changes (to 67,806kB in the case of version 0.2.3). At that point the Setup file still has the Windows default exe file icon displayed. Before the Setup file icon changes to the circular pink Enchanting icon, the Norton 360 Analyzer window opens and just as quickly closes. When the Norton window closes, the Enchanting Setup file disappears from the download folder. Norton displays no message to explain the action. Solution: Turn off Norton 360 auto-protect for 15 minutes and during that time download Enchanting Setup. Download continues to normal completion and the Enchanting icon is displayed with the filename. After download the Setup program runs normally even with Norton 360 auto-protect turned on.
esandy
New User

Re: Download Aborted by Antivirus Software

Postby clintonb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know; I'm glad you found a workaround.

With an earlier version of Enchanting (0.0.9?), I had a student whose antiviral software complained about javaw.exe, included in the JDK (Java Developement Kit). I since omitted the file, and am now including a different JDK (openJDK instead of Harmony).

If anyone else has additional problems, or learns more about what causes this issue, please let us know.
clintonb
Active User

Re: Download Aborted by Antivirus Software

Postby shayanjameel08 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:40 am

Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done.
shayanjameel08
New User

Return to Enchanting Questions and Projects