Enchanting and EV3

This is the place to ask question about Enchanting, talk about your Enchanting projects or simply find out more about Enchanting on the NXT.

Moderator: clintonb

Enchanting and EV3

Postby bkahn » Sat May 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if Enchanting programming will work with the new EV3 coming out in August.
Thank you
bkahn
New User

Re: Enchanting and EV3

Postby skoehler » Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm

I guess, since Enchanting is based on leJOS, there will first have to be a leJOS version for the EV3.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby clintonb » Tue May 21, 2013 4:22 pm

There is a chance that LEGO's software will work well enough that there will be no need of Enchanting for the EV3. Still, it will be nice to make Enchanting work with it at some point, yet, as Sven points out, leJOS needs to be updated first, and, given that the set is not available yet, I have had no opportunity to work with one (and imagine that the same holds true for the members of the leJOS team).
clintonb
Active User

Postby Jojo-dFG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:14 pm

I was at a promotion-event for EV3 and had the chance to test the new EV3 hardware and software. The new software is better than the old, but still - in my opinion - too complicated and there are still usability problems. So there ist still need for enchanting!
Jojo-dFG
New User

Postby clintonb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 am

Well, that's good to know, Jojo-dFG.

:)
Clinton
clintonb
Active User

Postby rba » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:13 am

Hi Clinton,

I use Enchating with my year 9 and I think it is a great software. I prefer it over the LEGO's software as I also use Scratch and prefer to teach an more algorithmic approach. It would be great if you could find the time to update Enchanting when leJOS is updated. Thanks again for some great software.

Richard
rba
New User

Postby SteveUK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:19 pm

It looks like there is progress with LeJOS on EV3, so eagerly awaiting Enchanting ... I've been using MIT App Inventor with my 10 year old - it shares some history with Scratch I believe & is excellent for Android development ... I can't wait to be able to use something similar for the EV3.

P.S. MIT App Inventor itself has integration to NXT, but no mention of EV3 over on that front that I see.

I have to say that the way Enchanting and Scratch are laid out is much more conducive to kids learning to program than the Lego software, I think Lego are missing a trick in not switching to this platform as a base.
SteveUK
New User

Return to Enchanting Questions and Projects