leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: leJOS and Lego Mindstorms EV3

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:02 pm

As I said above toy can use it today, the more people use it the better it will get. Today you can use all of the EV3 sensors, the motors, screen, buttons, sound etc. It is not so easy to use but you can do it. You will need to use a Linux development system, adn have a WiFi dongle and network.

So the question is what features do you need and what do you need them for? USB? Bluetooth? Windows? Mac?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby rubberduck » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

i want to buy an ev3 in ca. a year (i haven't an ev3 yet), then i want to use it under linux
i also want, that the infrared-remote-control and control with the pc (like with original firmware) works

and with "what do you think, when the first version will come out" i meant, when it will be on the main site of leJOS to download as extra program for it
rubberduck
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm

The infra red control already works. Why do you want remote control from a PC? Can you describe what it is you want to run? Why does it need remote control (rather than a program running on the EV3)? The more information you can provide about how you would like to use Java on the EV3 the more likely we will add that capability. To be honest I'm not very interested in providing that sort of capability, in general I don't really find it very useful or interesting to me. Perhaps one of the other devs will want to work on that.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby rubberduck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:29 am

I read about, that you can control the ev3 directly with your computer with original firmware (for example if you press a key, a motor rotates, if you stop pressing it, the motor stops rotating), but you don't have do add this to leJOS, if you don't want it, because you can control it with other things
rubberduck
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Even at this early stage, you can already remote control your EV3 from your PC. All you need is a leJOS-based Java program on the EV3 and a program on the PC. The two are free communicate via TCP/IP. Bluetooth and USB might take a while until works. We can't provide you with a program with a nice GUI that would send commands to the EV3 upon a keystroke. You would have to do that yourself. But considering that this is really just a simple example , you probably have greater things in mind.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Ramacco » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:19 am

Hello,

I have joined the LeJOS forum today, but I have been using it for a few months now.
I have been following the compatibility between LeJOS and EV3, but I'm struggling with a 'noob' question (as I'm not very well known with linux, windows command lines etc..)

Will we always have to be messing around with linux in a VM & SD card etc to program using LeJOS? Or is this just for the time it is in development?
I don't mind using another firmware, but I like the compile and run as it was with the NXT.

Hopefully it is clear what I mean, English is not my native language.

Ramacco
Ramacco
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:44 am

Even in the future, you will have to use an SD card. But we're looking for ways to install leJOS on an SD card from other OS like Windows and OS X.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Ramacco » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks, but compiling will be easier I guess? If we once plug in our SD card, we will be able to upload the software from our IDLE? (eclipse for instance?)
Ramacco
New User

Postby skoehler » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 am

We're working on that as well, yes. My personal goal to make it no more than a click of a button, just like with our leJOS NXJ Eclipse plug-in.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Ramacco » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 am

That's a relief!
Using the SD permanently does not seem to bother me after all. :)

I can't wait for more updates!
Ramacco
New User

Postby onamali » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I just have to say I am totally in love with my EV3 and running leJOS on it is just so cool!

I fully intend to be involved in this community and can beta test for you no problem. Well, there is a problem actually as I seem to not be able to SSH into my EV3, but I can telnet. I wonder if I have an old build, or maybe you released just one?

It seems to not even be running

root@EV3:~# netstat -pln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1184/telnetd

I followed these steps btw:
http://thinkbricks.net/?p=785
onamali
New User

Postby onamali » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 pm

And now I've fixed it :)

root@EV3:/etc/init.d# ./dropbear start
Starting Dropbear SSH server: dropbear.
root@EV3:/etc/init.d# netstat -pln
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1376/dropbear

onamali wrote:I just have to say I am totally in love with my EV3 and running leJOS on it is just so cool!

I fully intend to be involved in this community and can beta test for you no problem. Well, there is a problem actually as I seem to not be able to SSH into my EV3, but I can telnet. I wonder if I have an old build, or maybe you released just one?

It seems to not even be running

root@EV3:~# netstat -pln

I followed these steps btw:
http://thinkbricks.net/?p=785
onamali
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi,
The instructions you are using are probably out of date. Please use the ones on the official leJOS wiki:
https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Ge ... JOS%20EV3/
That version should automatically start dropbear. If not please let me know!

Also please use the other thread (writing programs...) to report problems.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby marvin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Hello gloomyandy,

Now I finally setup my sd card to work with leJOS :-)

I do not have the wifi dongle so I only run the EV3HelloWorld thing via startup script succesfully. Hopefully I will get the dongle tomorrow :-)

To get this run I commented out the call to startwlan and added a call to the jrun EV3HelloWorld.

What I detected so far is that the splash screen does not come up when startwlan is commented out. This may be because it is started in the background.

Another point is the parameter storage: As Xander mentioned the parameters are unpacked at the startup and packed again at the shutdown and that is at least half of the booting / shartdown time. The startup of leJOS is as fast or slow as the original firmware. The "EV3-init.sh"-script unpacks the parameter memory so that is that. But the shutdown is very fast and I do not see any use of the store.sh script which packs the parameters and stores it to mt4 when shutting down. On the other hand did you include the parameter file system into the lejosimage. I do not recommended this way of doing it.

My next step is to setup the developement environment. I am not so glad about the change to eclipse kepler because I have a well running setup with indigo and I have a lot of other developement toolchains integrated - leJOS for the NXT of course and gcc for arm - using c with cortex M3 MCUs. Not sure if they will work well when both installed.

Not sure if I should write all that here. I would like to help you as I said before...

Bye marvin
--
I am feeling very depressed...
marvin
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 am

Hi,
at the moment I use the stanadard parameter mechanism to load the values, but do not store them back (since leJOS does not change them). This allows you to use the standard firmware to set things like the brick name. The impact of this on startup time is not really an issue when compared with the WiFi startup (as you will find out), but at this stage this is not really something I'm that worried about. The splash screen is displayed by a leJOS program that runs in the background. This like all Java programs takes a few seconds to startup. If you are running the helloworld program from the init script then I suspect that this will be wiping the LCD and so you do not see the startup screen.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to EV3 Software