Can you run NXJ software on EV3

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Can you run NXJ software on EV3

Postby dlaskew » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to use old nxj lejos software on the new EV3 bricks, using none of the new sensors such as the IR-sensor. In other words, is it possible to write programs in java using the lejos library for ev3 and expect it to work properly?
dlaskew
New User

Re: Can you run NXJ software on EV3

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Well you can certainly write programs in Java using leJOS for the ev3 and have them work properly. It should also be possible to write programs that work on both the NXT and EV3 at least at the moment. Much of the NXT API can be used on the EV3. However it is likely that this will change over time as we make more use of the extra capabilities on the EV3. One of the big questions facing the leJOS developers is how much effort we make to keep the NXT and EV3 APIs in sync. Perhaps if you explain more about what it is you want to do and why we can provide more help.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby dlaskew » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:27 pm

I am participating in a TCEA robotics competition, and am much more accustomed to java than I am to the new EV3 IDE. I am glad to hear that I can still use Lejos, but will I be able to use the 4th (fourth) motor of EV3, considering that NXJ does not have it?
dlaskew
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Yes the 4th motor is available. Please note though that leJOS on the EV3 is very new, so you may hit problems with using it. Also things are changing very fast at the moment...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby daslicht » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:16 pm

hello,

I use the lejos (nxj) with Java Editor to programming ev3.
Is there a possibility that I can integrate the new sensors in the LejosDrivers / APIs.

thanks
daslicht
New User

Return to EV3 Software