How do I shutdown EV3 after booting into leJos?

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

How do I shutdown EV3 after booting into leJos?

Postby JGeo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Is there a way to shutdown EV3, once I booted in leJos? Is there a button combination to shutdown, without having to login using ssh/telnet first?

Otherwise, I can reboot the EV3 from the command line, but I can not shut it down with for example "root@EV3:~# shutdown -P -t 0 now". What would be the command?
JGeo
New User

Re: How do I shutdown EV3 after booting into leJos?

Postby rafiot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 pm

No way to shutdown with the buttons that I know of.

Try "halt" to shutdown from the shell.
rafiot
New User

Postby pepijndevos » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

A little inconvenient if the wifi doesn't work, or the kernel panicked.
pepijndevos
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 am

Well you shouldn't really be getting a kernel panic and if you are then nothing is going to help very much, certainly no sort of user program. as to WiFi setup well we will sort that out with an LCD based menu program at some point. But we are pretty busy making other changes at the moment.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby epascual » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm

JGeo wrote:Otherwise, I can reboot the EV3 from the command line, but I can not shut it down with for example "root@EV3:~# shutdown -P -t 0 now". What would be the command?

Hello,

"halt -p" works for me, using the latest lejos fs image.

It is possible to use buttons for this, but you'll need to write a script which monitors them, detect a long push (for instance 4 secs) and then issues the halt command. Just start it with an init script and it will do its job.

I've done something similar for a headless Raspberry Pi. If it can help, here is an article explaining how. You'll not be able to directly use it as is since i's written in Python and uses RasPi GPIOs, but the same job can be easily transposed using /dev/lm_xx stuff and sh.

The article is written in French, but maybe Google translate can help, and otherwise feel free to ask.
Eric PASCUAL - POBOT association VP & co-founder - http://www.pobot.org
epascual
Active User

Return to EV3 Software