USB connection, EV3 connect to internet via host?

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

USB connection, EV3 connect to internet via host?

Postby brickinthecloud » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:04 am

Connecting via USB is so useful! When connected and i attempt to make my Java program make a connection to an internet server I get a host not found error. Am I missing something or is this not possible just yet for the brick to see the hosts internet connection?
brickinthecloud
New User

Re: USB connection, EV3 connect to internet via host?

Postby skoehler » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:44 am

I'm not sure whether it's possible with Windows. It's certainly possible if you run Linux on your computer. However, you will have to set the routes and iptables rules manually.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Re: USB connection, EV3 connect to internet via host?

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 am

You can do it on Windows but it is not trivial. You need to enable IP forwarding, or to enable internet connection sharing. If you use the second method then after you have enabled sharing and specified the network adaptor that is being used by the EV3 you will need to modify the TCP settings on the adaptor back to the state they are currently in (basically obtaining an IP address for the adaptor via DHCP), when you turn on connection sharing Windows will have modified them to allow Windows to supply a DHCP address, this will not work with the EV3. You may also need to configure a network route to and from the EV3. If none of this makes any sense then probably best to leave things as they are or spend some time googling the details....

Oh and one other thing, I've found that for reasons I don't understand transferring large amounts of data via NFS from the EV3 over a USB connection does not seem to work. Whatever is causing this problem may also cause other issues. I think it may be related to the DMA transfers being used by the USB system, but not 100% sure.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to EV3 Software