I just registered a few minutes ago (the security question about the number of pieces in the NXT box is something you have to google if you have the EV3-Box
) and wanted to share my experience with you.
I am working at the university of kassel, germany, and we got 15 EV3 starter sets and 15 expansion sets. I work at the department for factory planning and logistics, and we are trying to set up a small lego factory with logistics stuff like Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (i am currently working on these), some machines and a high-level storage installation with a stacker crane. All these things are to be controlled by LEGO mindstorms, with a central controlling PC who manages the factory - like in a real factory.
When googling i found the lejos homepage and the tutorials on how to get lejos to work on the bricks. So i followed that tutorials and got the MASTER branch from egit. I created a seperate workspace for it and started to use eclipse for windows for developing. This works great if you use the existing ant build files. They require SCP to work and being in the same network with the mindstorms (we created a factory W-LAN here). After that I was able to build some examples from the egit master branch (downloaded all the projects) and recieved a lot of class not found errors. I solved these by looking into the build.xml files. The buid.xml files say where the project wants the ev3classes.jar and jna.jar. So i created the folders (1) /home/root/lejos/lib
and (2) /home/root/lejos/libjna/usr/share/java
and placed the ev3classes.jar and dbusjava.jar in (1), renamed the jna-3.2.7.jar (the most current version, i think the numbers are right) to jna.jar and copied it to (2), and now the sample projects all work fine. So to set up my own project I created a new java project, copied the build.xml from the ev3helloworld sample, changed things like names etc. - and it works!
I can use windows and eclipse to develop my EV3 programs, they are automatically!! transfered to the mindstorms brick, and all I have to do to start them is open a putty ssh console and start it via jrun -cp jarfile.jar classname.
So far i didnt need to change any settings in egit, i checked out the master branch, but i had to use a virtual debian machine to create the SD cards (used VMware player).
I read a lot about switching the egit branch - but since everything is working fine now, I dont really know if i should continue like this or try to read about the 0.4.0 branch and how to use it.
If you want i could write a little tutorial about what I did to get to where I am now - if it helps. If this is not the desired way, it might be misleading.