Package Management System on Ev3 linux image

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Package Management System on Ev3 linux image

Postby marcin.kasinski » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello.

Is there any Package Management System on Ev3 linux image (yum or something else) ?
Regards.
Marcin Kasiński
http://itzone.com.pl
marcin.kasinski
New User

Re: Package Management System on Ev3 linux image

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:06 pm

No. What is it you are trying to do?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby marcin.kasinski » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:38 pm

gloomyandy wrote:No. What is it you are trying to do?

I'm thinking about installing mysql and tomcat.

For me it would be easier to do it using yum rather then manually.
Regards.
Marcin Kasiński
marcin.kasinski
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Hmm well good luck! I've found that you can normally use packages designed for the Arm version of Debian Squeeze (make sure you use the EABI/armel versions). These will normally run on the Ev3. However this will probably not help with the issues of package dependencies etc.

The Lego/TI firmware makes use of a mainly busybox based rootfs to keep things small, so it does not have some of the tools like this...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby marcin.kasinski » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 am

gloomyandy wrote:Hmm well good luck! I've found that you can normally use packages designed for the Arm version of Debian Squeeze (make sure you use the EABI/armel versions). These will normally run on the Ev3. However this will probably not help with the issues of package dependencies etc.

The Lego/TI firmware makes use of a mainly busybox based rootfs to keep things small, so it does not have some of the tools like this...

OK. I see.

I'm using yum on Raspbery Pi and opkg on arduino. Both ARMs. It is really easier for me using this tools.

I know that it is very important to save resources on ARM machines but in my opinion we should save memory and processor only.
Having yum on board you don't waste resources. If you have enought SD card it is ok.

It is only my opinion. I'm not very deep linux expert.
I'm developer with admin skills.
Regards.
Marcin Kasiński
marcin.kasinski
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for your input on this....

This raises some interesting issues... primarily is the EV3 an embedded device that has a useful but reasonably limited set of functionality (in the case of leJOS a platform to run robotics programs written in Java), or is it a general purpose platform that is intended for people to hack away with as they see fit. Clearly Lego intend their version of the firmware to be the former, the rPi and arduino are very much aimed at the latter. At the moment leJOS is based on the Lego firmware, there are other projects out there which have started from a different perspective and which may be more suited to your needs at the moment. See the the ev3dev project:
http://hempeldesigngroup.com/embedded/tag/ev3dev/

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages (so for instance ev3dev does not have particularly good support for sensors, motors etc. I'm sure this will change). Over time they may move together. However things like having a general purpose disto as your base does have an impact on things like memory usage etc. As already mentioned the Lego/TI distro use busybox for pretty much all of the user level commands and daemons. ev3dev uses separate more fully functional stand-alone programs (if you don't understand this please google and read about busybox and how it works). For many uses of the EV3 this may not be an issue as there will be plenty of memory, however for leJOS that may not be the case. 64Mb is not a lot of memory for a system running Java SE. We also like to do as much as we possibly can in Java (so that as much of our code is accessible to our users) which means we want to be able to run multiple Java applications on the device, so memory usage may become an issue for us.

Finally it comes down to the people involved, their time and their interests. Doing things like using yum and having the back end repositories all takes time/effort and skill. At the moment the leJOS team is concentrating on getting Java working well on the EV3, supporting the huge number of sensors out there and generally building a good robotics development platform for a wide variety of end users. If people want to do things outside of this then that is cool, and we would be more than happy to see this sort of thing added to leJOS (so long as it does not compromise the other aims), but it needs someone to do the work, contribute it and support it. Personally I'd rather be spending more of my time building and writing Java code for some cool robots rather than managing a Linux distro (or even contributing/working with someone else's!).
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to EV3 Software