Ubuntu for EV3 in VirtualBox SD card settings

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Ubuntu for EV3 in VirtualBox SD card settings

Postby vbelenky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:51 am

I am following the instructions for configuring the Ubuntu for EV3 in VirtualBox:

http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Running%20Ubuntu%20with%20VirtualBox/

I am uncertain about this step: "and create a filter to allow access from the VM to your SD card reader". In the USB settings it added a filter "Unknown device 04F2:B249 [1206]". Is this correct?

[BTW, it's too bad that in order to show the screenshot it needs to be accessible online]
vbelenky
New User

Re: Ubuntu for EV3 in VirtualBox SD card settings

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 am

My USB filter settings looks like this...

Is your SD card reader working correctly with Windows? If so then it should show up correctly in the VirtualBox configuration...

BTW there are lots of web based free file and photo sharing systems available (google drive,drop box, flickr etc.) that you can use to hold images for use in the forum, with some (like google drive) you may only be able to provide a link.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby vbelenky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:31 am

Please see below the image of my settings. Do you think that this is correct? And yeah, I checked on Windows the SD card works.

-Slava
vbelenky
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am

Can't really tell without knowing that is actually your flash card reader. I would have expected it to show up as a named device like it does in my settings. What makes you think this unknown device is your reader?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby vbelenky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:12 pm

This is the only device that shows up when I click on the plus (+) icon. Andy, I read somewhere that you use a Ubuntu on VM. Do you think it's fine if I'll install Ubuntu alongside Windows?
vbelenky
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Are you sure that is your SD card reader? That ID seems to be for some sort of web cam. Is your SD card reader a USB device? What make etc is it? Make sure it is not plugged into a USB 3 socket (I don't think VBox support USB3).

Yes you could install Linux alongside Windows, but obviously you will need to reboot each time if you do that. Also if VBox is not seeing your SD card reader then a sep. install of Linux may not see it either...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby vbelenky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 pm

I thought that development will need to be done on Ubuntu anyway, that is, Eclipse needs to be installed on Ubuntu, etc. Is this not the case, Andy?
vbelenky
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi,
you need Linux to create the SD card. Once that is done you can use either Linux (which is what I do), or use Eclipse under Windows. At this stage I would say that using Linux is the best option, but obviously you need to be happy using it...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby vbelenky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 pm

I see. Since I need Ubuntu just to create a boot SD card then VirtualBox is the best option. Development I'll be doing on Windows. I'll research recognizing SD card by VirtualBox for my laptop.
vbelenky
New User

Postby vbelenky » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:37 am

Hi Andy. I bought an SD card USB adapter and now it shows another device filter (please see the screenshot):

So I went ahead with the assumption that I will be able to use this to create a bootable SD card. Next,

You will need to configure your Linux system, add users etc.

I don't know Linux, I mean I know commands like ls and cd. Question: what are these Linux system configurations that you are talking about?

Also, I tried accessing the USB (that has the SD card), see screenshot below:

But I get an error, see screenshot:

Please advise.
vbelenky
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi you may be better off asking these questions on the VirtualBox forums. If you have already created a filter in the VirtualBox settings you should not need to capture the device again once you have the Vm running. Ypu may need to unplug and replug the device once you have the VM up and running. I'm sorry I can't really provide help on how to setup Ubuntu as I said in the Wiki you really ned to be comfortable using Linux to use leJOS at this stage...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby vbelenky » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:17 pm

you may be better off asking these questions on the VirtualBox forums

You're right. Will do.
vbelenky
New User

Return to EV3 Software