0.5.0-alpha

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: 0.5.0-alpha

Postby roger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Most of my problems have been solved by cleaning the sd card and downloading the latest card image. The EV3 responds to ping, downloads via usb, and the motor.rotate(90) works.
Thanks, Andy, for your help.
Roger
roger

Postby roger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm

New problem with usb download. Even though it woks, when I disconnect the cable to run the robot, the menu does not change in response to button presses. The only way I can run the program is to select it and start it, then disconnect the cable before the program loads and starts. After the program ends, the menu does not appear until I plug in the usb cable again.
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Hmm interesting we have had a few problems reported that are similar to this. It looks like the USB network driver on the EV3 is locking up all of the EV3 network stack, interesting that your program seems to run fine, which means the system is still running fine. I wonder if Lawrie has any idea what is going on?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby lawrie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 pm

My guess is that if the program does not do anything that uses the network, if runs fine, but the menu has several threads that wait on network activity, so it hangs.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby Merowinger2k » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to lejos programming, so I hope I can post a few technical questions here.

First one: What is the perfect method of displaying text on the lcd in a loop?

If I do something like this:

Code: Select all
while(Button.getButtons() == 0) {
   LCD.clear();
   LCD.drawString("L speed: " +leftMotor.getSpeed(), 0, 2);
   LCD.drawString("R speed: " +rightMotor.getSpeed(), 0, 4);
   LCD.refresh();
}

, the screen flickers like mad. Even if I leave out the LCD.clear();
Merowinger2k
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Well first of it is never a good idea to have a very tight cpu loop like that, so at the very least put some sort of delay in there. I'm surprised that the screen is flickering that much if you don't have the clear. Is this the only code you have updating the screen?
Oh and 0.6.0 is out now so you might want to try that.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Merowinger2k » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes, that's the only code. I found out that a delay of about 200ms results in a smooth output. 100ms leaves some flickering. I also chnaged the .clear() to clear only the row I want to clear, so maybe that reduces flickering even more.

Hey, great news with 0.6.0! I am pretty new to eclipse, git and all that stuff...would you mind writing a quick wiki entry on how to update to a new version? I suppose first I have to create a new sd card with the 0.6.0. image and then somehow change my project files in eclipse (and possibly rebuild some of them)? Would be great to get some tips there, the wiki entry about how to set up things for the first time also helped a lot!
Merowinger2k
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:20 pm

To update
1) Create a new SD card
2) In eclipse use the Team > Switch To> Other... > Tags to select the new tag (in this case 0.6.0-alpha)
3) rebuild dbus, ev3classes etc. as per the Wiki
4) rebuild your projects
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Merowinger2k » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:02 pm

gloomyandy wrote:To update
1) Create a new SD card
2) In eclipse use the Team > Switch To> Other... > Tags to select the new tag (in this case 0.6.0-alpha)
3) rebuild dbus, ev3classes etc. as per the Wiki
4) rebuild your projects

"Team > Switch To> Other... > Tags" gives me only all tags up to 0.5.0. I right-clicked on "ev3" in my "Git repositories"-window in Eclipse. I guess I have to update first somehow. Is that the "Fetch from origin"-option? What do I have to select there as source and destination ref?
Merowinger2k
New User

Postby tigger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Git with his decentralized approach may be little bit confusing for anyone familiar with old school version control systems like SVN.

"Team > Switch to > master" followed by "Team > Fetch from upstream" should sync the latest repository changes into your local version, so new tags should be visible. Then it should be possible "Team > Switch to > 0.6.0".

[url=https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Fetching_from_upstream]E-Git User guide{/url] is a good start to learn more about Git with screenshots for some scenarios.

Regards,
Tigger
tigger
New User

Postby Merowinger2k » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm

tigger wrote:"Team > Switch to > master" followed by "Team > Fetch from upstream" should sync the latest repository changes into your local version, so new tags should be visible. Then it should be possible "Team > Switch to > 0.6.0".

Thanks a lot! Successfully updated to 0.6.0.
Merowinger2k
New User

Previous

Return to EV3 Software