Problems with the SD Card

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Problems with the SD Card

Postby LastSamurai » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Hey there,

I am new to linux as well as Mindstorm, but I just got myself a EV3 Mindstorm robot. Now I really want to programm it myself (using a "real" programming language). As far as I know java and leJos is the only possibility right now?!
Anyways, I like java so I decided to give it a try. Got a 2GB SD Card and my Mint notebook.
I used this http://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Cre ... SD%20card/ tutorial. I did unmount the SD Card (/dev/sdb1) and I did the dd copying. So far so good ;) But after that I cant remount the SD card. mount doesnt work cause of some filesystem errors and in gparted I only see errors too.
I am kinda lost there... any ideas what went wrong? Which file system should this be? Or can I somehow copy the java VM data to that SD Card without mounting it first?

And little sitenote / question: do I really need the USB Wifi or can I just use the cable to upload programms?
LastSamurai
New User

Re: Problems with the SD Card

Postby daveo2014 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi LastSamurai,

My guess is you specified dd of=/dev/sdb1 not of=/dev/sdb? If it's not that you could run 'history' and show us the commands you did use?

Side note question - you can just hook up with the USB cable and you'll be able to ssh onto the device - it's very neat!

(BTW I hope it's ok for users to offer suggestions/answers here - if not please let me know and I'll pipe down!)

HTH,
Dave
daveo2014
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 am

Hi,
Please be very careful when using dd and when specifying the output file. If you get it wrong you can end up writing to some other disk on your system. Make sure that the drive you specify is actually your sdcard before you issue the command. Using a wildcard to specify the device name may not be a good idea!

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby LastSamurai » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Well thanks daveo, that definitly helped me. Now it works (is booting).
Next I will try to get some programs onto the brick. Well and then the robot will start to take over the earth .... muhaha ;)
LastSamurai
New User

Postby LastSamurai » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:20 pm

I did resolve problems, and I am nearly ready to start run programs now (at least I hope so), but there are 2 more problems. I hope it's ok to just post the questions here.

- where do I get the USB drivers for the EV3? My pc (Win 7 x64) does not recognize the (leJOS) brick.
- Whenever I start the build files from EV3 classes (and others) I get this error message:

BUILD FAILED
I:\Java Programme\Mindstorm\ev3\EV3GraphicsTest\build.xml:40: Problem: failed to create task or type scp
Cause: Could not load a dependent class com/jcraft/jsch/Logger
It is not enough to have Ant's optional JARs
you need the JAR files that the optional tasks depend upon.
Ant's optional task dependencies are listed in the manual.
Action: Determine what extra JAR files are needed, and place them in one of:
-D:\Programme\Eclipse\plugins\org.apache.ant_1.8.4.v201303080030\lib
-D:\Benutzer\xxx\.ant\lib
-a directory added on the command line with the -lib argument

Do not panic, this is a common problem.
The commonest cause is a missing JAR.

This is not a bug; it is a configuration problem

Well I do not panic ;) , but whats the problem here?
LastSamurai
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:31 pm

For the scp problem please spend a little time looking at other forum posts, this is a common issue and other threads contain various solutions.

As to the driver you need an RNDIS driver for Windows. I'm surprised that Windows 7 does not have this built in, all three of my Windows systems (Windows 7, 8 and 8.1) have orked out of the box.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby LastSamurai » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Thank you so much guys :) Finally it works. Now I can start programming.
LastSamurai
New User

Return to EV3 Software