0.6.0-alpha release

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

0.6.0-alpha release

Postby lawrie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 pm

I have just created the 0.6.0-alpha release. The main new feature is Andy's new motor code with the regulator moved to the Linux kernel, but there are also quite a few bug fixes.

Let me know about any problems. It is installed and used just like the 0.5.0-alpha release.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Re: 0.6.0-alpha release

Postby fuzzycow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Many thanks for the hard work put into this release !
Successfully upgraded.
Only tested with one motor so far, but looks like motor "twitching on startup" issue is resolved ! Thank you Andy !

Question about 0.6.0:
Would it be possible now to drive the motors and get sensor data in the same thread ?
In my case I'm referring calling sampleProvider.fetchSample(..) from Subsumption Behavior takeControl().
Or would it still be better to put fetchSample(..) sensor polling on a separate thread?
I'm using 4 x motors, and 4 x sensors.
fuzzycow
Novice

Postby tigger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 pm

WiFi with Netgear WNA1100 via menu WiFi setup now works fine.

Great job!
tigger
New User

Postby roger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks Lawrie, Andy etc. for the release. My problems with the USB have vanished. And the motors accelerate and stop very smoothly so that my Differential Pilot travel method now runs in a straight line from start to finish.
I do have a problem with EV3Control, which does not find myEV3 brick, either via bluetooth or usb. My PC sees the EV3 using bluetooth, as does a NXT,
Roger
roger

Postby daspfanni2000 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 am

Oh YES! Thanks to you guys for the new realease!

I cannot wait to apply it to my ev3 and my first own legotechnik creation in 20 years (since I was teen) and my first lejos project. I built a 2dof robot arm for drawing (I call it TRAC3R). Right now, it paints a circle, put it is very slow since the motors start and stop for every small change. I could not figure out how to smooth stuff. I will come back with a dedicated post about my robot and my software issues:-)

Right now, I cannt wait to get rid of the 8000ms Delay in the beginning and to move to EV3 motor classes:-) Yay! :D

BTW @the_motor_driver_master (Andy:-)): Reading the docs, I understand that you can "interrupt" or "update" a "rotateTo(i, true)" call with a new rotateTo-call. Is it correct that the motors will then keep on turning to the new limitAngle without stopping in between (of course only without stop if it does not have to change direction)?
daspfanni2000
New User

Postby saturn_at_sky » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 am

Hi leJOS Team,

I have updated to 060 without any Problems. My first program runs well.

Thank You for your good work!
saturn_at_sky
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi,
Yes you can start a new move command while one is already in progress. The move should do the right thing in all cases (as you say this may require that the direction changes in some cases). Note however that this is a pretty complex operation and the transition may not always be totally smooth. But we try pretty hard to get it to be as clean as possible.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jerryP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Andy,

Thanks for the new release. You guys have done a great job. This version looks very good!
I would love to see some code examples of the EV3 ultrasonic sensor if you have any but this is a big step forward.

Thanks,

Jerry
jerryP
New User

Postby daspfanni2000 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 pm

I found that the bash-history (or what is its name) of the sd card image is not empty. But it is not large, nothing of interest there:-)
daspfanni2000
New User

Postby tigger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 pm

After spending some hours of lejos-ing I need to say:

GREAT WORK, GUYS!

0.6 is a great step forward:
- no more button "freezes" after disconnecting robot from USB (as in 0.5 most of the time)
- no more motor problems
- the new motorclasses

My robot is a simple remote control mover with two motors, but it works fine, even with MirrorMotor to revert the move commands because the motors are mounted backwards.

It is FUN FUN FUN to command my robot using Java instead of "drawing programs" with slow and uncomfortable original Lego software.

Thank you!
tigger
New User

Postby rafalmag » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 pm

No issue with upgrading, regarding that one: Calls on stop() and flt() hang at lejos.internal.ev3.EV3MotorPort.EV3MotorRegulatorKernelModule.subMove() method in while loop:
Code: Select all
 while (getSerialNo() == ser)
                Thread.yield();

I manipulate motors from 2 threads: my own button listener + from scheduled executor ("at fixed rate") (java.util.concurrent.Executors framework).
Sometimes I need to turn off scheduled execution - so I called executor.shutdownNow() (which set thread as interrupted) on executed thread... When I switched to executor.shutdown() -> problem solved.

So the only issue with the new motors framework is that it does not handle the thread to be interrupted properly.
rafalmag
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 am

Please start a new thread for your motor problem and post example code that can be used to recreate the problem. Please describe clearly what happens, and what you expect to happen. In particular I don't understand your comments about the problem with stop() and flt().
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby celanba » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:00 am

Before anything else I'd like to say a big thank you for all your work. That being out of the way, I did find a tiny annoying thing with the latest release.

ejre-7u51-fcs-b13-linux-arm-sflt-headless-18_dec_2013 requires a bit more space then the previous version, so your image didn't work right away for me. I had to resize the smallish section of the card to make room. Also, I found that dd (for ubuntu, at least) seemed a bit... uncomfortable? I used the Disks application to restore the sd-card instead (much harder to select the wrong HD)

Thanks again, I'll go experiment with this latest release now.
Cheers
celanba
New User

Postby briscott2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 am

Great Job Guys!!

This is great!

I previously downloaded 0.5.0-alpha release and did not have any problem in compiling the DBusJava or the ev3classes using Ant build.xml.

However, with the 0.6.0-alpha release, the build is failing with the following error:

[javac] Creating empty C:\XXXXXXXXXX\MyEclipseWorkspace\ev3\DBusJava\build\lejos\internal\io\package-info.class
jar:
[jar] Building jar: C:\XXXXXXXXXX\MyEclipseWorkspace\ev3\DBusJava\dbusjava.jar
copy:
[scp] Connecting to 192.168.XXX.XXX:22

BUILD FAILED
C:\XXXXXXXXXX\MyEclipseWorkspace\ev3\DBusJava\build.xml:34: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: connect

From some of the research that I have done online, it appear that there is an issues between ipV4 and ipV6?

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
briscott2
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 am

Worth checking the obvious first. Are you sure that you have the correct IP address for your EV3, it may have changed when you switched to 0.6.0-alpha. Also it may be worth disabling any firewall etc. to make sure this is not blocking the connection.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Next

Return to EV3 Software