0.8.1 beta problem: keep starting(solved),SDboot after setup

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: 0.8.1 beta problem: keep starting(solved),SDboot after s

Postby dibor » Fri May 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Tank you for the hint to the thread. This helped me very much.
First I Clemens me Computer from all Java versions. Then I installed Java 7 u55 32bit.
Then I downloaded ejre-7u55-fcs-b13-linux-arm-sflt-headless-17_mar_2014.tar.gz and now it works.
Perhaps it was the wrong ere-Version I downloaded before. It was the "ejre-7u55-fcs-b13-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-17_mar_2014.tar.gz
dibor
New User

Postby dibor » Fri May 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Sorry, I answered to the wrong thread...
Tank you for the hint to the thread. This helped me very much.
First I Clemens me Computer from all Java versions. Then I installed Java 7 u55 32bit.
Then I downloaded ejre-7u55-fcs-b13-linux-arm-sflt-headless-17_mar_2014.tar.gz and now it works.
Perhaps it was the wrong ere-Version I downloaded before. It was the "ejre-7u55-fcs-b13-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-17_mar_2014.tar.gz
dibor
New User

New installer does not work

Postby robusto » Sun May 04, 2014 11:45 am

Hi,

what is the "standard" lego firmware? I have upgraded once since purchase of the EV3, does that count as non-standard?

Here's my experience : On Windows 7,I downloaded the installer and created the SD card.
On inserting the card and starting the EV3, the brick begins to boot in just the same way as it always does. In other words, the display shows : Mindstorms starting.. and then the menu appears.
So this is not working at all. The EV3 is ignoring the SD card. After trying this 3 or 4 times, I found that if I pressed the "escape" key on the brick as it starts up, the LeJOS logo magically appears and the leJOS install starts. "Expand image" , "Mounting disks", "Deleting temp files' etc. etc. The brick reboots but then there is nothing I can do to stop it opening the Mindstorms firmware, so again ignoring the SD card and no leJOS.

Any ideas would be going wrong? (I have Java 7 and and the right jre). Could you list the messages that should be seen on the brick display as leJOS installs?

Thanks,
Rob
robusto
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Sun May 04, 2014 1:49 pm

What was this firmware that you upgraded to? Where did you get it from? As far as I am aware there have been no official firmware upgrades from Lego. It sounds like you have the enhanced firmware installed. I am not aware of the trick to boot from the sdcard by holding down the escape keep but if it works great. But you will need to do that every time you start the EV3. The standard firmware will try to boot from the SD card if present, but it sounds like that is not the case with the firmware you have installed.

If after rebooting you are still not able to get it to boot leJOS (by holding down the escape key), then more than likely you have a corrupt FAT32 partition. I would start all over again. Reformat you sdcard with something like:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
then use the leJOS installer to copy the files and the jre over to the card. Make sure you eject the card safely and then try the above process all over again.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby robusto » Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 am

gloomyandy wrote:What was this firmware that you upgraded to? Where did you get it from? As far as I am aware there have been no official firmware upgrades from Lego. It sounds like you have the enhanced firmware installed. I am not aware of the trick to boot from the sdcard by holding down the escape keep but if it works great. But you will need to do that every time you start the EV3. The standard firmware will try to boot from the SD card if present, but it sounds like that is not the case with the firmware you have installed.

If after rebooting you are still not able to get it to boot leJOS (by holding down the escape key), then more than likely you have a corrupt FAT32 partition. I would start all over again. Reformat you sdcard with something like:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
then use the leJOS installer to copy the files and the jre over to the card. Make sure you eject the card safely and then try the above process all over again.

Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply. Reading through the posts, it looks like there are lot of weird problems with the installation, don't there?

Anyway: my experience. First, the firmware version is not an issue, I was mistaken about that. So, I have a brand new EV3, purchased in December 2013, with original Mindstorms firmware.

I have reformatted the card, re-installed the software and safely ejected the card more than half a dozen times.

The result is always the same. On inserting the card into the EV3, and turning it on I see the "Mindstorms starting.." on the display. If I do nothing, Mindstorms starts normally , seemingly ignoring the SD card. If, however, I press escape, I can get the leJOS logo to appear and the leJOS installation and card formatting continues.
A whole lot of steps are notified on the display, ending with "Rebooting". After that, there is nothing I can do to prevent the EV3 starting up with Mindstorms . In other words, no leJOS.

Some questions:
Can you advise what steps I should see as leJOS installs on the card in the EV3?
Should the process end in a reboot or in "Start menu"?
How can the process seemingly go right to the end and then fail?
Relatedly, wouldn't a corrupt partition halt the process a lot earlier?
After the install process on the EV3, the SD card shows as having not a 2g (1.83G to be exact) capacity as it did after formatting, but only 500M. Is this a clue?
What are the file and folder contents I should see on the SD card after installation?

I will try another card, but without more information will be completely in the dark if it makes any difference.
Would you recommend buying a card that is already formatted with FAT32? (I think most come formatted as FAT). Or any other card specs?

Thanks,

Rob
robusto
Novice

Postby gloomyandy » Tue May 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi. I have never seen a leJOS install work this way. The normal boot process will always attempt to boot from the SD card if present. It looks like there is something odd about your card. It is normal for the install to reboot at the end. The install repartitions the card so the size change is normal. You will not see any change in the card contents. Most of the files will be on the second new Linux partition. Please try a different SD card. Please try and avoid any sort of security features or backup programs. Simple is good fin this case!
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby robusto » Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 am

I've got the "Start Menu.." hang too. Brand new 8G SD card, empty , FAT32 formatted. All the right files. Went through the installation and safely ejected the card. It just don't work for me.
robusto
Novice

Postby robusto » Thu May 08, 2014 11:32 am

jdk1.7.0_55 that's the one isn't it?
robusto
Novice

Postby martin_g » Sat May 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi togehter,

I also had the problem that my EV3 did not boot from my SD Card.
In my case it appeared after I repartioned my SD Card because there were two linux partions on it.
After repartioning and formatting with FAT32 my EV3 did not boot from the card.
I tried all the tips from this thread but nothing helped.
At the end the problem was that I had created a logical partion an not a primary one!
Changing the partion to a primary one all worked fine for me!

Maybe this helps someone else here.

Greetings
Martin
martin_g
New User

Postby doitux » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 am

Hi @all,

i also run into the "start menu..." issue and did not get the boost finished :(

I've a brand new EV3 with the fresh 1.03E firmware on it.
I'am running the installation from a 64bit Linux system (OpenSuSE 13.1)
I've formated the SD-Card with the SD500.img and tried all JRE's (1.7.0_u55, 1.7.0_u51, 1.8.0).
The installation works fine so far (no error msg) but at the and it hangs on "start menu..." for every jre :(

Any hint what i can do now? I'd love to starting with lejos on the EV3 ;)
doitux
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:16 am

Connect over USB using ssh and try running a java command like jrun -version, what do you see? If that works try running the menu by hand. cd into /home/root/lejos/bin/utils and run jrun -jar EV3Menu.jar EV3 0.8
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby doitux » Tue May 20, 2014 8:38 pm

When i do this i get:

root@EV3:~/lejos/bin/utils# jrun --help
/bin/jrun: exec: line 11: /home/root/lejos/ejre*/bin/java: not found

So i removed the sd card and manually copied the ejre1.7.0_51/ directory on it. Now it works fine!

I guess this should be done automatically during installion process right? Any idea what i've done wrong before?
doitux
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue May 20, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm not really sure. The jre is normally expanded and optimized as part of the install. I assume you did copy the compressed tar file to the sd card and had not expanded it in some way? Can you post directory listing of the fat32 part of the sdcard.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby doitux » Tue May 20, 2014 11:50 pm

This is the sdcard before the installation:

doitux@linux-ef2r:/var/run/media/doitux/SD500> ls -l
insgesamt 24548
drwx------ 4 doitux users 4096 18. Mär 04:43 ejre1.7.0_55
drwx------ 4 doitux users 4096 21. Mai 01:11 lejos
-rw-r--r-- 1 doitux users 13779844 18. Apr 13:41 lejosimage.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 doitux users 9338332 18. Apr 13:41 uImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 doitux users 2000072 18. Apr 13:41 uImageStandard
-rw-r--r-- 1 doitux users 11 18. Apr 13:41 version
doitux
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 pm

That looks like you have expanded the jre to the SD card. The install expects it to just be the compressed tar file as downloaded from Oracle. That is what has caused the problem. I'll look into getting the installer to check for this and create an error if it happens.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Previous

Return to EV3 Software