0.8.1-beta boots standard firmware after install

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

0.8.1-beta boots standard firmware after install

Postby EvgeniK45 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:14 pm

Hello! After first boot from SD and setup all process for leJOS system creation, EV3 is rebooting but did not boot from SD, it is restarting in it own "lego" system :(
EvgeniK45
New User

Re: 0.8.1-beta boots standard firmware after install

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:14 am

Please reformat your sd card (to fat32) and try the install again. Please be sure to safely eject the SD card from your windows system before moving it to the EV3.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby EvgeniK45 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 am

gloomyandy wrote:Please reformat your sd card (to fat32) and try the install again. Please be sure to safely eject the SD card from your windows system before moving it to the EV3.

I did reformat and install for 5 times!
On sixth try, EV3 boots to leJOS!
I don't know what it is, may be SD card problem... :roll:

Anyway thanks!

P.S. Before last try, I format the card and copy files manually (from previous installations)
EvgeniK45
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:34 am

HI can you provide more details on what it was you did on the last attempt (the one that worked)? The more information we can gather the more likely it is we can help you and others. So how did you format the card? What do you mean by you copied the files manually? What files, how did you copy them. Please provide as much detail as possible.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby EvgeniK45 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Ok, during last try:
1. I save files from SD card (that were created from ev3sdcard.bat), in to temporary directory on HDD;
2. Then format SD card on full size (8Gb, fat32);
3. Wrote the image file "sd500" (from install package) to SD card, and got 2 partitions on SD (500Mb and 7,5Gb);
4. I reformatted again 1'st partition (500Mb to fat32);
5. I copied files from temporary directory from HDD to fat32 partition;
6. Then insert to EV3 brick.

That's all
EvgeniK45
New User

Postby kusako » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Same problem here. Everything seems to go well until the brick reboots, then it just boots into regular firmware.
I used OSX to format my SD and unzip/copy the install files, so this might be part of the problem.
Anyway, as a workaround, I copied the files from the FAT32 partition to a temp directory on my machine, reformatted that partition and copied the files back.
After this everything works as expected. :D
kusako
New User

Postby karsten.torp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Same thing happened to me. On windows 7 I did a quick format of the SD card, launched the SD card tool from eclipse and created the disk. I did'ent do a safe eject, but waited about half a minute before removing the SD card. Every thing looked fine on EV3, but after the reboot the standard firmware was loaded.

The second time did a full format of the SD card, manually unzipped the lejosimage.zip and copied the java gz file, and remembered to do a safe eject. And this time it booted to lejos after the reboot :D
karsten.torp
New User

Postby ultem » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Same problem here (Mac OS X):

Formatted the SD card with DiskUtility

Created the image by using DD in Terminal: sudo dd if=sd500.img of=/dev/disk2

I have used the guidelines given on this site: http://www.embeddedarm.com/support/faqs.php?item=10

Copied the LeJosimage + Oracle JRE files , but after rebooting it was not working (--> Lego firmware)

After using the tips from Kusako, everything was working fine.
ultem
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Please everyone make sure you are safely ejecting the sd card before you remove it. If there are errors in the fat32 partition then you will get this sort of error.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby EvgeniK45 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 am

gloomyandy wrote:Please everyone make sure you are safely ejecting the sd card before you remove it. If there are errors in the fat32 partition then you will get this sort of error.

I have ejected SD safely, but shits happened. :(
EvgeniK45
New User

Return to EV3 Software