Bluetooth/USB Data Transfer Issues

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Re: Bluetooth/USB Data Transfer Issues

Postby Mark Lanthier » Fri May 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Interestingly, when I run my PC code outside of Eclipse, the socket connection works ok, but when the exact same code runs within Eclipse, the EV3 cannot connect to the PC. I'm not sure if you are as knowledgeable about Eclipse, but do you think that there is something that eclipse is doing to prevent the EV3 from communicating with my PC code ?
Mark Lanthier
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Seems unlikely. Possibly a firewall issue? Try disabling any firewall on your PC and test it again.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Mark Lanthier » Fri May 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Indeed ... it was a firewall issue! I disabled the windows firewall and not the code works from Eclipse as well. It is very strange that when running outside of Eclipse it worked without the need to disable the firewall. I guess eclipse has some security features. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm gonna try things via USB now to see if I can establish a network connection that way, instead of a PAN.
Mark Lanthier
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 pm

More than likely there is a firewall exception setup for the program/port combination outside of eclipse, but not within eclipse. I think the system will see your program running as eclipse or some other run time system that is different to how it shows up hen running outside. You should be able to create an exception in the firewall settings to allow things to connect. But that obviously depends on the firewall you are running.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Mark Lanthier » Fri May 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Interestingly, the USB worked the same as the Bluetooth :). However, when using USB the PC appears to have address 10.0.1.10, whereas when using bluetooth it has address 10.0.1.11.
Mark Lanthier
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri May 16, 2014 8:17 pm

That is because both connections share the same dhcp server on the EV3. Which means that having handed out 10.0.1.10 it will not be reused until the lease expires (or the PC releases it). This is why I pointed out that the address may not always be 10.0.1.10 and that is why having the EV3 listen for connections may be simpler!
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Previous

Return to EV3 Software