mtd access?

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

mtd access?

Postby marvin » Sat May 24, 2014 8:38 pm

Hello,

I like the beta version 0.8.1 a lot. At the moment I am trying to understand the system building not the ev3 java library...

I discovered that there is no more access to the mtd devices with this version while there was access to them with the first alpha releases. I took a deeper look on the kernel sources but cannot find where the layout of the flash is configured. The kernel config seems to be the same as the original when in comes to the mtd settings but the brick simply stops working when trying to read any mtd device.

Does anyone have an idea where to search?

I am sorry when this is the wrong forum for this question...

Thank you very much!

Bye marvin
--
I am feeling very depressed...
marvin
Novice

Re: mtd access?

Postby gloomyandy » Sat May 24, 2014 10:14 pm

If you mean the flash memory, nothing has changed as far as I am aware. However you can only access those devices either very early during the boot sequence or very late as they share hardware that is used for other purposes when the system is running. This is why the Lego boot sequence copies data from the device to a ram disk early on and copies it back again just before shutdown. Why do you want access to the flash memory? What is it you are trying to do?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sat May 24, 2014 10:37 pm

At least I think that is the case. Trying to remember where I saw that documented! What was it you used to be able to do, and why did you need to do it?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby marvin » Sun May 25, 2014 9:28 am

Hello andy,

thank you for your answer. I was thinking about how to update the internal firmware without the original LEGO-Software. The EV3-firmware-Vx.bin is the complete 16 MB flash which seems to be flashed during the update process. I made a script taking the bin-file apart in the mtd-parts so I would be able to update the sections separately. The uBoot-part never changed so that one does not even need any update.

Do you have any schematics? Is it like TI eXperimentier Kit?

I tried to use the original kernel with the leJOS distribution but that one only produced funny pixel on the display while booting...

This has nothing tot do with leJOS, I know. leJOS even does not fit into the internal flash. It is just the idea of being able to update without LEGO software and without Windows.

Oh, and now I have a clue how to realize the update idea. I have to setup a sdcard similar to the one of leJOS which reads and writes at the times when the system allows to use the mtd devices... So thank you very much for your hint :-)

[some time later...] Heureka - it works :-) Thank you very much for your hint again :-)

Bye marvin
--
I am feeling very depressed...
marvin
Novice

Return to EV3 Software