Installation problems

This is where you talk about the EV3 software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Installation problems

Postby mombip » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Installation went OK (finished with reboot 5 4 3 2 1) but after reboot brick runs with standard software. SD card is visible in second tab of standard Lego software.
Last edited by mombip on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
mombip
New User

Re: Broken Oracle Link

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Sounds like you have a problem with the SD card. You need to reformat and try again. That problem is almost always caused by an error in the FAT32 file system. Reformat with the following:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
copy the files to the card again make sure you safely eject the card (do not just remove it) and try again. If you are still having problems try a different card.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mombip » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:14 pm

I've downloaded SDformatter but after using that and performing all operations I've received error fat32 expected (during LeJOS installation). I didn't find any option for FAT32 in SDForamter. Finally I've formatted SD card once again with FAT32 using standard Windows formating tool (64K).

Before another format I had to remove ext partition which has been created during previous installation time (I had to use Linux to do that - Windows partition management tools were helpless). I've repeated procedure and nothing happened. Brick boots with standard software. In Linux new ext2 partition contained Linux folder structure with lejos folders.

I will try to do more formatting with different allocation size (I've already tried 8192 and 64k) without hope it really matters.

I don't have spare 2 GB card now but I'll buy some tomorrow and try again.

Thank you for fast response.
Mark.
mombip
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm

The link I gave you should not have any problem on a normal SD card creating a FAT32 partition I have used it many times with many SD cards (as have lots of other users on the forum), what sort of SD card are you trying to format? Make sure you use a full format if possible. If you are still having problems try a larger SD card (4GB or more).

Are you sure you have the standard Lego firmware installed? If you have installed the so called "enhanced" firmware used for the Rubicks cube solver then you need to replace it with the standard Lego version before trying to install leJOS.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mombip » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:06 pm

The problem is that all I'm using is standard. I was using firmware 1.03H (all previous tries) now I updated to v1.06H taken from [url]http://www.lego.com/en-US/mindstorms/mindstormservices/firmware-download-page/?assetid={9C3FD4CD-42E7-4390-8298-83DDF5321F3A}[/url] and situation is the same - installation goes well but standard software runs instead of LeJOS. :( SD card is standard Kingstone memory card. Maybe 2 GB is not enough. I will buy another card and report my progress. I'm really looking forward to do some Java code for my ev3 and maybe for community also (I'm quite experienced in Java but not this embedded one so we'll see).
Thanks again
Mark.
mombip
New User

Re: Installation problems

Postby mombip » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:42 pm

I bought new SD card and now everything work's fine.
Mark.
mombip
New User

Return to EV3 Software