EV3, LeJOS and Raspberry PI

Post your EV3 projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

EV3, LeJOS and Raspberry PI

Postby Starky » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Just picked up a Raspberry Pi Model B and thought you lot might be interested to know that it can be powered directly from the EV3 unit. I have the regular USB port on the EV3 plugged into the micro-USB power port of the Raspberry Pi and it boots fine and is even able to drive a keyboard, mouse and WiFi adapter.

Obviously this will drain the batteries very quickly, but I'm very excited as it allows me to give my robot a bigger brain without weighing it down with an extra battery pack and more cables.

I've just started playing with Raspberry Pi but I have plans to use it to control the robot by sending commands over USB. It will support other sensors like a camera in order to perform tasks like object detection using OpenCV to guide the robot towards areas of interest.

I'll update this thread with updates on my projects from time to time. If anyone has any ideas for interesting opportunities opened up by the Raspberry Pi then please discuss them here!

Starky
New User

Re: EV3, LeJOS and Raspberry PI

Postby pineal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi!
I am actually doing the same project. Using Raspberry Pi to interface EV3 with the camera module.
Here is my email address: sghzhan6@liv.ac.uk
I hope we can discuss together.
pineal
New User

Re: EV3, LeJOS and Raspberry PI

Postby hugheaves » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 am

Cool stuff.

I'm happen to be working on a cross-platform Java API / framework that may have some overlap with what you're doing. My goal is to be create a standardized Robotics framework that can be used on any platform that supports Java SE (and hopefully ME :). One of the big features is "location transparency" for devices (motors / sensors), so that devices natively supported on one platform can be accessed / used transparently from another. (Kind of like lejos' remote brick concept on steroids :)

It's mainly a research project at this point, but if you've got any interest, let me know.

Hugh
hugheaves
New User

Return to EV3 Projects