Compatible Hardware

This is where you talk about the EV3 hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: roger, gloomyandy, skoehler

Compatible Hardware

Postby onamali » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:42 pm

As I test more hardware, I'll add it to this list.

Wifi
Netgear Wireless-N 150 usb adapter (WNA1100 Chipset)
Edimax EW-7811UN micro WiFi dongle

Wired Network
Apple USB ethernet adapter

Console
Mindsensors Console Adapter http://www.mindsensors.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=189&MMN_position=39:39
Prop Plug http://www.parallax.com/product/32201 (Requires soldering hackery)
Last edited by onamali on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
onamali
New User

Re: Compatible Hardware

Postby skoehler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Do you mean compatible with LEGO's Linux firmware?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby onamali » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Well, I hope to test out lots of hardware and if they don't work 'out of the box' then I'll try to get the 'drivers' installed. So this is meant for hardware that can work with leJOS.

For example, I'd like to get an RDIF reader working on the USB, this should be quite easy compared to some things.
onamali
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Good idea to have a thread for this. I know that the Edimax EW-7811UN micro WiFi dongle works fine I have two of these (you need the lejos SD card for this as I had to add extra drivers). I've also been working on Sensor support. Expect an update later this week. I have the Lego NXT light sensor, ultrasonic sensor, sound sensor and touch sensor working (no NXT color sensor yet). I've also tested the Mindsensors IR distance sensor, the accelerometer, and touch mux working. Also the HiTechnics compass sensor and gyro. Basically most of the existing NXT drivers should work with this update.

I'd be particularly interested in getting some sort of micro USB video camera working if anyone fancies giving that a go.

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 pm

onamali wrote:Well, I hope to test out lots of hardware and if they don't work 'out of the box' then I'll try to get the 'drivers' installed. So this is meant for hardware that can work with leJOS.

Do you have experience with Linux? I'm asking because what hardware is supported depends
1) which kernel version is used and which kernel modules have been built
2) a mechanism to access the devices from Java

So for example, an USB RFID reader may appear as a ttyUSB or ttyACM device - or it may require libusb to access the device. To access the tty devices from Java, a copy of rxtx would be required. This requires recompilation of rxtx's JNI wrapper. libusb is whole different topic.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby onamali » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:51 am

@GloomyAndy: It sounds like you've made excellent progress so far!

@Skoehler: Yeah I have a lot of experience with Linux, I work as a sysadmin for webhallen.com so I have access to quite a bit of hardware to test :)
onamali
New User

Postby skoehler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:08 am

onamali wrote:@Skoehler: Yeah I have a lot of experience with Linux, I work as a sysadmin for webhallen.com so I have access to quite a bit of hardware to test :)

OK, so let use know which kernel module is required by with which hardware (and don't forget the hardware revision! Manufacturers sometimes change the chipset between revisions!). You will find however, that many lists are already out there. Here's an example: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

The list tells me, that the WNA1100 is supported by the ath9k_htc driver, and that it uses an Atheros chipset (WNA 1100 is NOT the chipset - it's merely the manufacturer's product name). You will also find lots of other devices, that are supported by the same driver.

Oh and to make things worse, the naming of devices is not really uniform - at least in case of wireless devices. For example, one WLAN dongle may appear as wlan0 - the next may appear as ath0. Not sure, whether that has changed, but from my limited experience with internal WLAN adapters, the device name depends heavily on the driver, but it is needed for configuring/launching wpa_supplicant. So we might want some udev magic to rename the network interfaces or to have some other scripted magic that finds out about the device name (unless I'm wrong and device names have been unified in the recent kernel versions).
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:19 am

Just in case anyone using the Lego firmware reads this...

Please note that although the modules support different devices the standard Lego firmware does not it has hardcoded the USB ID for that particular NetGear model...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Yminus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 pm

gloomyandy wrote:Just in case anyone using the Lego firmware reads this...

Please note that although the modules support different devices the standard Lego firmware does not it has hardcoded the USB ID for that particular NetGear model...

You mean this particular Netgear Model? It's really huge!

The G54/N150 Wireless USB Micro Adapter - WNA1000M does not work with the original Lego firmware?
Yminus
Novice

Postby skoehler » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Yminus wrote:The G54/N150 Wireless USB Micro Adapter - WNA1000M does not work with the original Lego firmware?

The WNA1000M uses a completely different chipset (RealTek vs. Atheros) than the WNA1100. The good news is, that leJOS SD includes the driver for the Edimax EW-7811UN, which also has a RealTek chipset. I'm not sure, whether the WNA1000M will work though.
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNA1000M
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNA1100
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Edimax_EW-7811Un
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby fuzzycow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 am

Netgear Wifi dongles are hard to get where I live - have to order from abroad.

What I checked:
* Lst of usb dongles using the same chipset as Netgear Dongle (Atheros AR9271) at https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc
* Ev3 code checks Vendor and Device ID and judging from the code - just plugging in another AR9271-based dongle will not work. Netgear dongle does NOT use "generic" Atheros AR9271 Vendor and Device ID.
* Seems that AR9271 doesn't supporting changing of Vendor and Device ID, and thus you can't "fool" original EV3 firmware into thinking that AR9271-based dongle from another OEM is Netgear.

I want to be able to use the original lego EV3 firmware until lejos supports most of ev3 sensors and motors (sorry, couldn't figure out the current status from the forums).

The solution which I plan:
* Binary patch original EV3 firmware, changing Netgear Dongle Vendor/Device ID to one of another AR9271 OEM
* Ev3 source tree includes scripts used for firmware packing, which show the cramfs offset in the firmware file
* cramfs has to be extracted, unpacked (cramfs = readonly), patched, and re-packed
* lib_com source code clearly shows which strings need to be chaged

By the way - according to EV3 lib_com code Ev3 should support USB HUBs.
fuzzycow
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 am

Hi,
well good luck with that! Let us know how you get on. FYI the upload I've just made has classes for all of the standard Lego EV3 devices...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby andish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Hello!

i have read the hint above that manufacturers change Device ID without warning.

Now I found two similar looking N150 WLAn-Sticks,
WNA1100-100FRS
and
WNA1100-100PES (EAN/UPC 0606449067200)
Correct Foto e.g. http://www.redcoon.de/B216811-Netgear-W ... reisdelist

The foto of the latter is often wrong, and the FRS is pictured.

I looked up a lot of price comparison pages and only rarely an ASIN or EAN number is given.

Has anyone tried the PES with the original firmware?

Thanks!

Andi
andish
New User

Postby skoehler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:05 am

andish wrote:Has anyone tried the PES with the original firmware?

If you find any information about the PES version let us know. Whether it works depends on the USB vendor/product ids. You would find them in the *.inf file of the windows driver. I say "would", because the *.inf file is possibly hidden inside some installe executable that cannot be easily unpacked.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am

I'm pretty sure the letters after the model number refer to regional variations. I have a version marked WNA1100PES and it works fine. But don't blame me if the version you get doesn't work!
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Next

Return to EV3 Hardware