Difficulty pairing with BT GPS app

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Difficulty pairing with BT GPS app

Postby clintonb » Thu May 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Greetings.

I have downloaded a bluetooth GPS application for my android phone (the one I'm trying right now is called 'Bluetooth GPS Output' by 'Meowsbox', running on my Samsung Galaxy SII X phone, which is running Ice Cream Sandwich).

I am able to initiate a pairing from my phone to my NXT, running leJOS 0.9.1. However, I can't seem to do it the other way around. The phone is discoverable, and I connect to it readily from my computer (running Mac OS X 10.7.4).

When I try to pair from my NXT, it finds the device and asks me to enter in a 4-digit PIN. I tried several -- 1234, 0000, 0183 -- to no avail. The phone gives no indication that it knows that pairing is in process.

When I try to pair from my computer, it finds the device, and then my phone puts up a message like this:

Bluetooth Pairing Request

To pair with: your computer's name

Make sure it is showing this passkey:

The computer dutifully shows a message with that passkey, I confirm, and I'm good.

I see no place to assign a PIN to the phone, on the phone, and it looks like it wants a five or six digit number instead of four.

What steps should I take next to try to make my NXT pair with my phone? (Is there any way to get GPS data into the NXT if the phone did the pairing? There is no indication that NXT knows the phone exists -- it doesn't show up in the bluetooth devices menu.)

Thank you!
Clinton
clintonb
Active User

Re: Difficulty pairing with BT GPS app

Postby jshao » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:07 pm

I got the same problem as yours, mine is galaxy NOTE2, I tried both android 4.4 and 4.2, and both LeJOS and NXC firware in my NXT brick, all failed to pair.

For LeJOS(I'm using the latest version 0.9.1), when try connect from brick to phone, the brick can search the phone, once I choose to pairing and input the PIN(choose default 0000), it always quickly returned with 'unsuccessful', and there never have a PIN window prompt in Phone.
when try connect from Phone, the Phone alwasy can see the NXT, once clicked the pairing and input the PIN which set in brick(like mine is 2234), the pairing 'looks' succeed since the NXT already categoried to 'Connected device' in phone, but during the whole process, nothing happened in Brick and of course there's no phone device listed in its 'Devices' menu. So actually they failed. But as I noticed, if I input a wrong PIN by intention, the phone will have a prompt say 'Pin error', so I guess the communication is good in some degree.

Anyone could help? it really stuck me for days.
jshao
New User

Postby jshao » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 am

Update:
Tried with other 2 android mobile phones, same as my NOTE2.
Tried with a Windows7 laptop, if connect was from laptop, the laptop always say connection succeed, but NXT never have any response. if connect was from NXT, it always say 'unsuccessful', same as my original post.
jshao
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 am

Have you tried connecting with the standard firmware installed? Can you run any of the standard leJOS PC programs (like nxtbrowse) over Bluetooth to you NXT, with either standard firmware or with leJOS installed?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jshao » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 am

gloomyandy wrote:Have you tried connecting with the standard firmware installed? Can you run any of the standard leJOS PC programs (like nxtbrowse) over Bluetooth to you NXT, with either standard firmware or with leJOS installed?

Today I tried fresh to official firmware which downloaded from lego website, the version is 1.31, still failed, but this time we can see both side(android phone and NXT) can prompt the PIN code window, for example: pairing from android to NXT, the NXT would prompt window, I input the PIN same as in android phone, but just quickly NXT returned to main menu, nothing more could see! then, still empty in Contracts. otherwise, pairing from NXT to android, after android input the PIN, the NXT still say 'line is busy', while the android states the NXT is paired.

as you say, "try leJOS PC programs", I believe for doing this I need make sure they(PC and NXT) paired first, correct? The problem is I never get them paired, I also failed with PC, the PC always say NXT get paired, but it never does in NXT.

It really drive me crazy...
jshao
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am

Sorry can't help much further, never had any problems with paring from a PC to any of the NXTs I have or with several different PC Bluetooth devices. If you are not able to pair and communicate with the NXT from a PC using a PC and the standard Lego software then you may may need to contact Lego support. One final thought what Bluetooth stack are you using on your PC? I would always use the Microsoft stack if you possibly can.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jshao » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

gloomyandy wrote:Sorry can't help much further, never had any problems with paring from a PC to any of the NXTs I have or with several different PC Bluetooth devices. If you are not able to pair and communicate with the NXT from a PC using a PC and the standard Lego software then you may may need to contact Lego support. One final thought what Bluetooth stack are you using on your PC? I would always use the Microsoft stack if you possibly can.

Thanks for the reply anyway!
I even bought another standalone Bluetooth Adapter this morning, and still failed, the windows automatically installed the driver for it, does this mean I used the 'Microsoft stack'?
BTW, do you think it could help if I contact lego support? I got the NXT out of the country.
jshao
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:55 am

The first step is to establish if things work with just the Lego software (not with leJOS), if you can't get that working then you should contact Lego support and see what they can do.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby jshao » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:16 am

Finally I get it to work by replace the Bluetooth stack in my laptop, the experience proved the windows 7 stack can't suit, the one I used now is called bluesoleil, it also provide a management software, which I would say the UI really worried me at the beginning, it likes the very old days software, even more, it asking for license.
with this bluesoleil, I also get my arduino bluetooth sensor paired to my laptop.
I tried a generic stack provided by broadcom, but failed by it keep asking me to plug in the bluetooth adapter, and actually it's always there.
So I have to give up the paring between NXT and android phone, the andorid phone don't support replace the bluetooth stack except refresh another ROM.
Hope this information could help someone like me.
thanks.
jshao
New User

Postby karim » Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 pm

I have the same issue, also with a Samsung phone. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note II running android 4.1.2. I cannot get it to pair with an NXT running lejos firmware 0.9.1 I can pair the phone with that NXT when it is running the standard lego firmware. I can also pair the nxt with my computer.

When I initiate pairing from the phone to the NXT running lejos 0.9.1, the phone prompts for a passcode, I enter the standard passcode, and it reports being paired and the NXT shows up in the phone's bluetooth devices list as paired. But the devices list on the NXT is empty. The NXT did nothing during the pairing sequence.

When I initiate pairing from the lejos NXT, I'm stymied by the 4 digit passcode as reported above. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to run the BTSend example from Lejos-Droid.
karim
New User

Return to NXJ Hardware