NEW USER If I have the NXT Software that came with the...

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

NEW USER If I have the NXT Software that came with the...

Postby otro11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Hello, I recently bought and installed the NXT software, and just bought the set. I then found out that there the programs could be developed in java!

Anyway, I have been emailing the support, and I was told to direct my questions here instead. I was told to go here to download "firmware": <a href="http://lejos.sourceforge.net/nxt/nxj/tutorial/Preliminaries/GettingStarted.htm"> Getting Started </a>

" Yes, the NXT brick i can be sued for leJOS NXJ. All you have to do for
that is uploading the leJOS firmware to it. See
http://lejos.sourceforge.net/nxt/nxj/tu ... tarted.htm "

Since I already have the default NXT Software installed, that already allows transfer to the NXT brick via USB connection, do I still need to download anything aside from the distribution of lejos_nxj? And if yes, what do I download?
otro11
New User

Re: NEW USER If I have the NXT Software that came with the..

Postby s.frings » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:03 pm

The original firmware executes bytecode from the Lego programming GUI. The Lejos firmware executes Java bytecode. Both bytecode interpreters are not compatible to each other.

You need to download the whole Lejos package, which includes the Lejos firmware and some tools to compile and transfer files. Of course you need to install Java Runtime (32 bit version 1.6 is recommended).

Be aware that the ultrasonic sensor does not work in Port 4 with that version because of a known bug.
s.frings
Active User

Postby otro11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you for answering so promptly, that makes sense. But, to reiterate, I need to download (from the above link)

Java Development Kit
You will also need a Java Development Kit (JDK). Note that a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is not sufficient as it does not allow you to compile Java programs. You can download the latest JDK from http://java.sun.com/. Follow the instructions for installing it. The 32 bit version of Java is required and at this time only version 1.5 is 32 bit.

and

When you say
You need to download the whole Lejos package, which includes the Lejos firmware and some tools to compile and transfer files.
What do you mean? The Lejos distro, or some combination of files from that page (if so which ones?) or maybe you mean to download something else? (if so, what and from where?)

Thanks for the warning about the ultrasonic sensors... I will keep that in mind when programming.
otro11
New User

Postby skoehler » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 pm

otro11 wrote:Thank you for answering so promptly, that makes sense. But, to reiterate, I need to download (from the above link)

Java Development Kit
You will also need a Java Development Kit (JDK). Note that a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is not sufficient as it does not allow you to compile Java programs. You can download the latest JDK from http://java.sun.com/. Follow the instructions for installing it. The 32 bit version of Java is required and at this time only version 1.5 is 32 bit.

This is copy&pastes from the installation instructions for OS X.
Are you using Mac OS X?

Actually, on OS X, Java is already installed - well, Apple said they would stop delivering it as part of OSX, but I think the current version (10.6 that is) is not yet affected.
Also Sun (and now Oracle) never offered a JDK or JRE for download that runs on OSX.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes, I am using mac OS X. But which packages do I download?
otro11
New User

Postby skoehler » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

otro11 wrote:Yes, I am using mac OS X. But which packages do I download?

From Sun/Oracle? No package at all. Java should already be installed on your Mac.

For leJOS, you download http://sourceforge.net/projects/lejos/f ... z/download
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Yes I have Java installed already, like you said.

Intel macs require the 10.5 firmware (fix) update. This is true for OSX10.4 intel users as well. We have had several users report that this works... (the 10.5 update installer actually checks if your OS is 10.3+). PPC users need the 1.02 driver.

a) But where do I download this, and does it apply to me if I am running 10.6.6?

b) Downloading and Untarring LEJOS Software
Should the .tar file be inside a certain directory when I untar it? And is there an untarring utility that you would suggest? or is the "Archive Utility" that comes with my computer good enough?

In Flashing the Firmware
c) Where do I get this firmware? or is it "The fantom driver is now distributed with leJOS and configured as the default. There is no need any longer to do so in $NXJ_HOME/bin/nxj.properties"?

d) If the required firmware is not the "fantom driver", how do I know which firmware I need?

e)"If your NXT is in firmware update mode, the firmware will be updated."

Press the reset button (at the back of the NXT , upper left corner) for more than 4 seconds. A straightened paper clip could be useful for this. Your NXT will audibly tick when it is firmware update mode.

f) Does this process put the NXT into firmware update mode? If not then how do I put my NXT into firmware update mode?

Sorry for all the questions, I ask A LOT of questions :) Thanks.
otro11
New User

Postby s.frings » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 am

Hello,

you ask so many questions. It seems that you do not know how to get software from the internet. You are obviously not familiar with basic operating system tools. You even do not know how to install updates on your operating system and it seems that you have no Java knowledge.

So what you need is a teacher who goes through all that step by step. First you should learn to write some small Java programs (without Lejos) and understand
what happens in the background behind your IDE (Netbeans or whatever). If that works well, then you can start with Lejos.

I assume that you will not have fun with Lejos under the current circumstances.Try Bricx Command Center (http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/) under Windows. This is a C-style programming language, much easier to use than Lejos. Brixcc does not need any additional software, it works with the original Lego Firmware and it contains all you need in a single Windows Application. Brixcc comes with a very detailed tutorial that will show you every single click that you have to do.

If you do not have Windows on your machine, then install a virtual windows machine using VmWare or VirtualBox.
s.frings
Active User

Postby otro11 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello,

I do ask a lot of questions, and I'm sorry that it seems an obvious assumption that, I am "not familiar with basic operating system tools. You even do not know how to install updates on your operating system and it seems that you have no Java knowledge." Although there is no way for me to show you the falsity of that assumption, I assure you that it is not true. I already knew I had java installed, I was told by someone that lejos is a port of the 'TinyVM' distro, so I was under the (false) impression that this meant there would be additional software to install. As for my, admittedly, many questions, I will condense them into one question:

Is the firmware required the 'Fantom Driver'?

Sorry for the mixup.
otro11
New User

Postby skoehler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 pm

otro11 wrote:Is the firmware required the 'Fantom Driver'?

To be honest, I have never used Mac OS X. Usually, there is Shawn, who guides OS X users through a lot of trouble. But he doesn't seem to be active at the moment.

However, your questions seems a bit odd. I would suggest that you install the Fantom Driver. It's a driver to access the Lego NXT. Without the fantom driver, you can neither upload firmware nor programs to the NXT. Uploading firmware to the NXT (either the original firmware by Lego or the custom firmware by leJOS) is a second step. The third step is to upload programs.

After you have installed the fantom driver (you can download it here: http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... spx#Driver) and unpacked the tar.gz, you should be able to use the command line to start "nxjflash" which is in the bin-directory (there's a whole directory structure inside the tar). This will upload the leJOS firmware to the NXT brick.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 am

The page that links to "was not found", sry :\
Oh, ok, that was very clear, thanks.

Oh, an afterthought though: to start nxjflash, I have to change permissions of the 'bin' folder? Or was that already done in a previous step in the installation?
otro11
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 am

The link works fine for me. Can you explain what problem you had with it?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby otro11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 am

woah.. that's cool, now it works.. yay. Oh and the thing that happened that made me say it was broken was that it brought me to the lego website and it said 'Page Not Found'. Anyway, sorry about that, and thanks so much!

EDIT:
Oh, should I download any of the other things aside from the fantom driver from that page? (maybe the Snow Leopard Fix?)
otro11
New User

Postby otro11 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Yay! I got it to work! Thanks everyone, I know I ask a lot, at times a ridiculous amount of questions... sorry about that. But hey, I got results :) anyway, thanks again, I'll try to answer other ppls questions now to cut down on the amount of posts you guys have to answer!

Thanks again!
otro11
New User

Postby miranda145 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 am

Thank you all, you've just solved my Internet Marketing Tips problem too. Cheers. :wink:
Last edited by miranda145 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miranda145
New User

Next

Return to NXJ Software