Java phone as remote-control?

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Java phone as remote-control?

Postby s.frings » Sun May 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi, I never wrote Java programs for mobile phones. But want to try that. Using my phone to remotely control a car built with Lego Mindstroms parts is my first idea.
Is that possible? Is somewhere an example that I could checkout?
s.frings
Active User

Re: Java phone as remote-control?

Postby lawrie » Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

What sort of phone do you have?

For Symbian phones, such as Nokia phones, there are j2mecomms and j2mesamples projects in svn. I have the samples running on Nokia phones, but have not build them for a year or two, so they could have problems. I built them in Eclipse with the JME plugin, but again it was a while ago, and things have move on, so the project files might need some work on them. One of the samples allows you to drive a robot around.

For Android phones, there is the Lejos-Droid project in svn.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby jimmylucas88 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:00 pm

s.frings wrote:Hi, I never wrote Java programs for mobile phones. But want to try that. Using my phone to remotely control a car built with Lego Mindstroms parts is my first idea.
Is that possible? Is somewhere an example that I could checkout?

I think it would be possible, considering I have seen the remote controlled helicopters that are flown with an iphone. You may be able to disassemble one of those helicopters and use the parts in a lego car. That is where I would start at least! I recently built my own version of a magicJack Plus, and have been working on a way to rig it using a remote so I can have access to a wireless phone. It is super fun to build things like this!
jimmylucas88
New User

Postby daavidfischer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:47 am

I am not sure if Java platform can process such huge programs. This is because the phones that run on Java have particularly low memory and processor speed; so it greatly depends on which phone you are using. Java platform is not widely used nowadays so there are not many projects under development, you may consider building an app using Android.

David Fischer
daavidfischer
New User

Postby Aqualuna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:02 pm

I also would love to use the brick just to communicate with the robot parts, but use a phone to do all the computation and also integrate data from camera, gps, gyro and accelerometers. Basically make the phone control the robot.
Aqualuna
New User

Postby shayanjameel08 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 am

Well i have sony ericsson k610i i found in da menu an icon called "Entertainment" then move down the list and will found an icon called "Remote Control" and it's sign is the bluetooth sign but that app. needs have like TV or whatever you want to remote that had bluetooth option..... good luck..!
shayanjameel08
New User

Return to NXJ Software