Problem linking to NXT brick

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Problem linking to NXT brick

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:21 pm

I just upgraded to the lastest version of LeJOS, and I'm using the new eclipse plugin.

I managed to link my program the first time. However, when I try to do it a second time, the tooltip on the run button claims that the program is "already running". Additionally, I am unable to connect to the NXT brick again within eclipse or from one of the nxj batch files until I restart eclipse.

Is this a known bug with the eclipse plugin? Is the connection to the NXT brick being left open so nothing else can use it? Or is there a button somewhere in eclipse that will stop the application running?

Thanks, Eric
Lego Mindstorms StackExchange proposal - Follow it here!    Technobotts - UK Robocup Junior Champions 2010 (Using LeJOS NXJ!)    NXTraordinary - My robotics blog
Eric
Novice

Re: Problem linking to NXT brick

Postby skoehler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Eric wrote:Is this a known bug with the eclipse plugin? Is the connection to the NXT brick being left open so nothing else can use it? Or is there a button somewhere in eclipse that will stop the application running?

I'm afraid there is. Does the upload work again, after you restart Eclipse and stops working again for the second upload?
I'll release a new plugin which fixes that very soonish.

I don't know what you mean with the tooltip showing that the programs is already running. I will have a look at that tonight.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:43 pm

skoehler wrote:I'm afraid there is. Does the upload work again, after you restart Eclipse and stops working again for the second upload?
I'll release a new plugin which fixes that very soonish.

Yep, it works great the first time I do it after starting eclipse. It's subsequent times that don't work

skoehler wrote:I don't know what you mean with the tooltip showing that the programs is already running. I will have a look at that tonight.

If you use the big green run button at the top, the second time you go to push it, the tooltip shows "Run MyLeJOSProgram (already running)".
Lego Mindstorms StackExchange proposal - Follow it here!    Technobotts - UK Robocup Junior Champions 2010 (Using LeJOS NXJ!)    NXTraordinary - My robotics blog
Eric
Novice

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 pm

While you're updating the plugin, can you get the javadoc and source attachment built into the "LeJOS Library Container?"
Eric
Novice

Postby skoehler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Eric wrote:While you're updating the plugin, can you get the javadoc and source attachment built into the "LeJOS Library Container?"

The library containter does already provide the source attachements. It looks for project subfolders or zip archives in the projects folder, or for zip archives like classes-src.zip in the same folder as the jar file. However, my crystal ball tells me, that you're using a snapshot, which doesn't contain any sources.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:31 pm

skoehler wrote:The library containter does already provide the source attachements. It looks for projects in the projects folder, or for zip archives like classes-src.zip. However, my crystal ball tells me, that you're using a snapshot, which doesn't contain any sources.

No, I just downloaded the 0.9 installer. Guess I wasn't looking where the projects were installed. Where are they supposed to be?
Eric
Novice

Postby skoehler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Eric wrote:
skoehler wrote:The library containter does already provide the source attachements. It looks for projects in the projects folder, or for zip archives like classes-src.zip. However, my crystal ball tells me, that you're using a snapshot, which doesn't contain any sources.

No, I just downloaded the 0.9 installer. Guess I wasn't looking where the projects were installed. Where are they supposed to be?

You're right. I didn't think about the windows installer. It installs the project to some location outside the main leJOS folder, doesn't it? That is currently not supported by the eclipse plug-in. I can't promise it, but expect this to be fixed in the 0.9.1 release. For now, you can put zipped versions of the projects in the projects subfolder.

For example if the JAR file is
/path/to/lejos/lib/nxt/classes.jar
the zip file should be at
/path/to/lejos/projects/classes.zip
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

FWIW, I grabbed the .zip download, and copied the projects folder into the LeJOS install folder. Still no luck.

Edit: Late post.
Eric
Novice

Postby skoehler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Eric wrote:FWIW, I grabbed the .zip download, and copied the projects folder into the LeJOS install folder. Still no luck.

Can you create a new project? Or close and reopen your current project?
Eclipse seems to cache quite a lot of information.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Should the zip folder contain the classes folder, or should it contain the contents of the classes folder?
Eric
Novice

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Yep, that's fixed it. Thanks a lot.
Eric
Novice

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:42 am

skoehler wrote:I'll release a new plugin which fixes that very soonish.

How soon is soonish? It's pretty maddening restarting eclipse over and over on a fairly old computer. Also, I don't seem to be getting the "Already running" tooltip any more. Thanks.
Eric
Novice

Postby skoehler » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:30 am

Eric wrote:How soon is soonish? It's pretty maddening restarting eclipse over and over on a fairly old computer.

A new version of the plug-in is ready and in SVN. Tomorrow I will post a link to an update site with that version. I would like you to test it and report back. Is that OK?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:23 pm

So here's the link to an update site with a test version of the plug-in:
http://xen-sk1.us.to/ldt-tryout/

It should fix the problems your having. Make sure, that in the plug-in preferences, the "run in seperate JVM" is checked, which should be the case by default on Windows!
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby mescalinum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Eric wrote:Yep, that's fixed it. Thanks a lot.

how did you fix that?

I have the very same problem.
I added the classes.zip in the leJOS install directory, as pointed out by skoehler.
Now I get the javadoc in eclipse,

but the problem is still present

one thing to note: after the first successful upload in eclipse, with eclipse still open, also via command line, nxjupload fails
mescalinum
New User

Next

Return to NXJ Software