Extracting lines from sensor readings?

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Extracting lines from sensor readings?

Postby kc123 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:20 am

Hi,

I looked through the LeJOS API and I noticed that for MCL Localization, path finding and mapping all use LineMap. However, there is no routine to convert robot’s sensor reading into lines. Does that mean if I wants to use those functionalities, I need to manually create a map (instead of generate automatically by the robot)?

Does LeJOS support any functionality for converting sensor readings into line segments?

I am asking because I plan to work on a Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) project for my class.

Thank you,
Kevin
kc123
New User

Re: Extracting lines from sensor readings?

Postby kc123 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Since no one is answering my guess is that LeJOS don’t support converting sensor readings into line segments. It is possible to estimate lines segments given a set of feature points using RANSAC (RANdom Sampling Consensus), however to work well you need a lot more data points. My feeling is NXT's sonar sensor is too slow and too inaccurate to do so.

The approach I am going to take is going to construct an occupancy grid map then feed that into LeJOS’s MCL routine. It turns out LeJOS MCL routine uses a “rangeMap” so if my grid map support the methods defined by the range map, then I should be able to use the LeJOS's Monte Carlo Localization routine.

I think it would be nice to bring SLAM capability to the LeJOS library. I will post more detail once I have something.

-Kevin
kc123
New User

Return to NXJ Software