Installer can't find JDK v7u1

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Installer can't find JDK v7u1

Postby mathmad2008 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm

[RESOLVED]

I recently installed JDK 7u1 and then tried to install leJOS version 0.9. However, when I run the installer, it can't find the JDK.

Screenshot:

Any idea why this doesn't work?
Last edited by mathmad2008 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathmad2008
New User

Re: Installer can't find JDK v7u1

Postby skoehler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:38 pm

You posted some screenshots. But none of them makes me understand what actually happens. Is the installer refusing to continue at some point? Or what exactly is the problem?
Maybe, you post a screenshot of the error message if there is any?

Also, you have a 64Bit JDK installed. LeJOS doesn't work with a 64Bit JDK. Please install a 32Bit JDK.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi,
What happens if you type javac.exe -version into the cmd prompt, this is the command that the installer uses to test for an installed JDK... Also you need to have a 32bit version not 64bit for leJOS...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:43 pm

gloomyandy wrote:Hi,
What happens if you type javac.exe -version into the cmd prompt, this is the command that the installer uses to test for an installed JDK...

It is!? Because as far as I remember, javac.exe is not in the PATH on Windows unless you add it manually. Or am I mistaken?

Edit: The tutorial clearly suggest the following:
You will need to add the JDK bin directory to your system or user PATH, so that commands such as javac and java can be called from a command prompt. If you do not know how to do this, see the "Setting up environment variables" section below.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Yes it is javac that the install script tests for. This may not be the best test, but it is the JDK and not just the JRE that we need to have installed... The test can be seen at line 3087 here:
http://lejos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... iew=markup

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mathmad2008 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:11 pm

skoehler wrote:You posted some screenshots. But none of them makes me understand what actually happens. Is the installer refusing to continue at some point? Or what exactly is the problem?

Also, you have a 64Bit JDK installed. LeJOS doesn't work with a 64Bit JDK. Please install a 32Bit JDK.

In the first screenshot, it says "No JDK installed".

skoehler wrote:You posted some screenshots. But none of them makes me understand what actually happens. Is the installer refusing to continue at some point? Or what exactly is the problem?

I'll try installing the 32bit version.
mathmad2008
New User

Postby skoehler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:18 pm

In my last post, I quotes a text from the tutorial which explains what you should do. You should add the bin directory of the JDK to your PATH variable.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby mathmad2008 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 pm

skoehler wrote:In my last post, I quotes a text from the tutorial which explains what you should do. You should add the bin directory of the JDK to your PATH variable.

I installed the 32-bit version of JDK and added the bin to my Path variable, and it works now.

Thanks so much!
mathmad2008
New User

Return to NXJ Software