Installation trouble

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Installation trouble

Postby abalis3 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:08 am

So i installed the lejos nxj 0.9 and then at the end you have to flash it onto the brick but i got an error that jfantom.dll could not be found in blahblah/pc/native. so i tried copying the file which i found in pc/native/windows and then it said cannot load library something about the same file. I tried installing the latest version of the fantom driver and it automatically installs to C:/Windows/SysWOW64(something like that) and im not positive thats the right file but i searched the C: directory and i found fantom.dll there. anyway what do i do? does the fantom.dll need to be moved or what i tried reinstalling it a couple times

Thanks in advance
abalis3
New User

Re: Installation trouble

Postby skoehler » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 pm

If you want good help, post the error messages you were seeing. Copying jfantom.dll around probably made it worse, instead of better. You should definitely undo your changes.
My crystal ball (I bought mine from a very talented fortune teller) tells me, that you're using a 64 Bit Windows, and that you installed a 64 Bit JDK instead of a 32 Bit one. Currently, only 32Bit Java is supported. So I bet that the first error message was about the fact that a 64 Bit jfantom.dll doesn't exist, simply because we don't supply any because 64 Bit applications aren't supported by Lego. After creating a copy of jfantom.dll, the error message might have been that the jfantom.dll (which is 32 Bit) is incompatible with the 64 Bit JDK that you are using.
Install a 32 Bit JDK and set the LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME environment variable to the root directory of the 32 Bit JDK. Also make sure that the latest fantom driver (1.1.3) is installed. It is available here: http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... river.aspx. In case you're using Eclipse, download a 32 Bit edition of Eclipse.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby abalis3 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Ok so i downloaded the 32 bit JDK (yes i was using 64 bit) and excuse me i'm not really experienced with this stuff but how do you change that variable?
abalis3
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 pm

abalis3 wrote:Ok so i downloaded the 32 bit JDK (yes i was using 64 bit) and excuse me i'm not really experienced with this stuff but how do you change that variable?

A guide how to set that environment variable is given here:
http://lejos.sourceforge.net/nxt/nxj/tu ... dows.htm#9

I would recommend setting LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME instead of JAVA_HOME. The correct value might something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_24".
The relevant part where to find the environment variable settings is the following:
You can set these environment variables by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables and creating them or editing existing values. You can set them either as user or system variables depending on whether you want leJOS NXJ to be available to all users or just the current user.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby abalis3 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 pm

It works now Thank you so much
abalis3
New User

Return to NXJ Software