LeJOS logo + sound on a program exit

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

LeJOS logo + sound on a program exit

Postby kaczor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 am

Hi,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to disable a leJOS logo and sound each time the program on NXT brick exits? I suspect every time a program finishes, brick is restarted, am I right?
kaczor
New User

Re: LeJOS logo + sound on a program exit

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 am

If you want to disable the sound set the volume to zero in the menu...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby kaczor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 am

Well, I don't want to disable sound complely and I believe there is no option to disable starting sound...
kaczor
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 am

In that case no there is no way to do this at the moment. There is no way currently for the menu code to distinguish between running for the first time and re-starting... Note that doing this will not result in the menu starting any faster, basically the NXT is busy doing things while the splash screen is being displayed. Why do you want to disable the sound? What sounds do you want to work?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby kaczor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:27 am

If the brick is busy with some things on a boot (when logo is displayed) it makes no sense to get rid of it I think. I've thought we can speed up things and the logo and sound is there only to tell us: "hello, I'm leJOS", but in this case we must leave it just as it is. I'll also disable the sound - I don't really need it.

But maybe it would be a good idea to just add an option to remove boot sound? Is there a source code for the firmware available? Maybe I could make the changes on my own? :)
kaczor
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:39 am

leJOS has two major components the firmware - native code written in C - hard to change, and the menu system written in Java - easy to change. It is the Menu system that provides the start up sound, you should already have the source to the startup project installed with the rest of leJOS. I'm still not sure why you want to disable the start up sound, but leave other sound options enabled? Do you find it annoying, or is there some other issue?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby kaczor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

I didn't want to put things like this, but in fact it annoys me a little :) Especially at 2 o'clock AM, when my wife sleeps :) I cannot see the reason to disable sound completely and enable it every time we want to communicate something to the user and make some short beep. But when you write a program which runs on NXT brick it becomes pretty irritating when your brick makes this sound for the 39th time :)

But I think we should not continue this thread. I'll have a look into the code to see if I can disable it just like that or I'll just turn my volume down to 1 or even 0. Thanks for your help.
kaczor
New User

Postby skoehler » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:27 pm

kaczor wrote:If the brick is busy with some things on a boot (when logo is displayed) it makes no sense to get rid of it I think.

I'm not quite sure, but playing the sound is not too time consuming. And other things happen in parallel, AFAIK. The startup time of the menu has already been optimized.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 pm

kaczor wrote:I didn't want to put things like this, but in fact it annoys me a little :) Especially at 2 o'clock AM, when my wife sleeps :)

You can set the sound volume to zero and key click volume to 1. Then you'll have no startup sound but keyclicks. Also, in your own program, you can set the sound volume to whatever you want (I'm not sure, whether the settings of the menu affect a normal program, but anyway: the settings can be overridden). Or in other words: you'll have no startup sound, sound after uploading a file, but keyclicks. What more do you want?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby kaczor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm satisfied with the startup time. I just didn't know if the logo and the sound are there only for fun or there is something in progress behind (and I was not sure if the brick is being restarted on a program exit). Of course playing the sound is not time consuming - I agree. And now when I know that the time displaying the splashscreen is required I don't have any problems with it. Except the one with startup sound described in my previous post. :)
...but again - I think you should not waste your time on this minor issue :)

skoehler wrote:What more do you want?

I'm going to do exactly as you suggested :)
kaczor
New User

Return to NXJ Software