Problem with Mac 10.8 and Bluetooth

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Problem with Mac 10.8 and Bluetooth

Postby jmeyer2k » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi, I'm having problems getting bluetooth to pair between my Mac 10.8 and LeJOS. Whenever I try to connect, my NXT says UNSUCCESSFUL. If I try to pair from my computer, it flashes a code and then says pair unsuccessful. If I try running the program without pairing, or run nxjbrowse, this error comes up:
Code: Select all
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _IOBluetoothLocalDeviceReadSupportedFeatures
  Referenced from: /private/var/folders/yq/7bwcs4yn3qq846gw3jwyzcgw0000gn/T/bluecove_jmeyer2k_0/libbluecove.jnilib
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/IOBluetooth

dyld: Symbol not found: _IOBluetoothLocalDeviceReadSupportedFeatures
  Referenced from: /private/var/folders/yq/7bwcs4yn3qq846gw3jwyzcgw0000gn/T/bluecove_jmeyer2k_0/libbluecove.jnilib
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/IOBluetooth

uploading the program failed with exit status 133

I have done a little bit of research on the pairing problem and it is an authentication failure. Please help!!!
jmeyer2k
New User

Re: Problem with Mac 10.8 and Bluetooth

Postby skoehler » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:38 pm

We are aware of the problem. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix right now. The library we use for Bluetooth (bluecove) is simply broken on 10.8, as Apple decided to finally remove functions that they had deprecated since a few OS X version.
For full details and a possible workaround read https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... jWv1V1GC-4
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby marko » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same problem.

Has there been any progress in resolving this issue?

marko
marko
New User

Postby Wulf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello,
I had the same problem after updating to OSX 10.8.
Since I wanted to connect to my NXT via bluetooth again, I spent some time with Objective C, IOBlootooth.framework and maven2. My objective was not to fix or update bluecove, but to be able to use leJOS with bluetooth again. I did some ugly things like returnig services of the host adapter without truly requesting (I did not find a suitable method in IOBluetooth now) or commenting out deprecated code I did not understand.
As a result of my effort I built this patch for the svn-version of bluecove. The resulting "jar" worked for my NXT at least for uploading and for data logging but I am sure, that some functionality of bluecove will be lost or will lead to unstable behaviour.

You can download my patch here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-GAbqyW_Z6UY0JNU2puRE95QTA/edit?usp=sharing

get bluecove with
svn checkout http://bluecove.googlecode.com/svn/trunk bluecove-parent

copy bluecove.patch to ./bluecove-parent
cp bluecove.patch ./bluecove-parent

and cd to ./bluecove-parent
cd bluecove-parent

apply the patch with
patch -p1 < bluecove.patch

and start the build process with
mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true

Not all the targeds will be built successfully but you will find what you need in the subfolder
./bluecove/target

You can then make bluecove-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar available for your leJOS build system.

I hope, that this patch will help some of you in order to use leJOS with bluetooth support again on OSX 10.8.

Kind regards
Wulf
Wulf
New User

Postby kirkpthompson » Sat May 18, 2013 5:50 am

Hi.

I tried this with no success. After your process, I just replaced the bluecove.jar (in my snapshot) with the one generated. Would you like the exception dump?

-K
Leg Godt!
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby pEhrlich » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 pm

The instructions were easy to follow, but the end result wasn't working. (Had to try the svn checkout a couple times until a 502 bad gateway error went away.)

With the standard BTsender demo, I'm getting exceptions:

java -classpath ".:/Users/peter/Downloads/leJOS_NXJ_0.9.1beta-3/lib/pc/pccomm.jar:/Users/peter/Downloads/leJOS_NXJ_0.9.1beta-3/bluecove-parent/bluecove/target/bluecove-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar" p -d32
Connecting to NXT
BTSend Log.listener: Searching for any NXT using Bluetooth inquiry
BlueCove version 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT on mac
Found: NXT
Invalid memory access of location 0xaf1a17d0 eip=0x96549a94
fish: Job 1, 'java -classpath ".:/Users/peter/Downloads/leJOS_NXJ_0.9.1beta-3/lib/pc/pccomm.jar:/Users/peter/Downloads/leJOS_NXJ_0.9.1beta-3/bluecove-parent/bluecove/target/bluecove-2.1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar" -d32' terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

I was able to follow the work in this thread (essentially a `git clone`, and then the same maven command as given here to build) to get bluetooth going. It's taking about 750ms a round trip. Not good at all. Does anyone know what this number should be? https://code.google.com/p/bluecove/issues/detail?id=134

Cheers,
--Peter
pEhrlich
Advanced Member

Postby dlech » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 pm

dlech
New User

Return to NXJ Software