Installation & Tutorial Issue

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Installation & Tutorial Issue

Postby andrewgies17 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I have pretty much been driven insane trying to figure this out. I have almost no terminal experience. I am trying to install LeJOS onto my Mac OSX Mountain Lion computer, and I can tell that I'm close, but I don't have the files organized correctly. I did get the terminal environment variables set up by creating a .profile file in my home directory. It's contents are like so:

Code: Select all
export NXJ_HOME=/Users/Andrew/Developing/leJOS\ NXJ\ 0.9.1
export LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home
export PATH=$PATH:$NXJ_HOME/bin

When I check in a terminal window to make sure they are set, I get this:

echo $NXJ_HOME
/Users/Andrew/Developing/leJOS NXJ 0.9.1
echo $LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home
echo $PATH
/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/Users/Andrew/Developing/leJOS NXJ 0.9.1/bin

When I run any command, I get the following error, which I believe means it just can't find the class it needs.

nxjbrowse
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: lejos/pc/tools/NXJBrowser
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: lejos.pc.tools.NXJBrowser
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
   at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

This is how my files are set up:

http://i.imgur.com/MUaSlN6.png (Click here for the image, it's too big for a forum post.)

How do I install this correctly?

Thanks.
andrewgies17
New User

Re: Installation & Tutorial Issue

Postby skoehler » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 pm

That's because the author of the scripts (me that is) failed to test the scripts with folders that have spaces in them after he made a change. In all nxj* scripts in the bin subfolder of leJOS, there is a line
printf "%s" ${TMP_CP%?}
which needs to be replaced by
printf "%s" "${TMP_CP%?}"
(the quotes were missing).

As a workaround, either rename the folder leJOS NXJ 0.9.1 to leJOS_NXJ_0.9.1 or fix the scripts as described above. I committed a this change to the SVN. So it will be part of the next release. See https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/code/6965/

Sorry for the inconvenience.

On the screenshot you posted I saw, that all the *-src.zip files have been unpacked (i.e. there is a folder classes-src, jtools-src, etc.). You can safely delete those folders. Only the ZIP files are required. Did some Apple software unpack these automatically for you?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Re: Installation & Tutorial Issue

Postby dfamil » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:37 pm

hi

if you want to keep java 1.7 running just add this code to each script, such as nxjbrowse. This works because 1.7 is located in a difference place than 1.6.It seems oracle decided not to conflict with apples last version of java. what is unclear is how long apple will let us use 1.6. LeJOS may have to update these programs 64bit java like the EV3 versions.
add below
#!/bin/bash
# for OSX

export JAVA_HOME="/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/"
export LEJOS_NXT_JAVA_HOME="/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/"
export NXJ_HOME="/Applications/lego/lejos_nxj"
export PATH="$NXJ_HOME/bin:$PATH"

good luck
dfamil
New User

dfamil
New User

Return to NXJ Software