Problems when installing iCommand

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Problems when installing iCommand

Postby m_sutti » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:06 pm

Hello everybody! I'm new in this forum and this is my first post.

I have encountered a problem while installing iCommand, that is when I type "java -jar icommand.jar" in the prompt command line for testing the installation, it says "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: icommand/Properties".
I followed the instructions on the "Maximum" book and on the iCommand release notes, yet I still can't work it out. Actually, the whole installation of iCommand is driving me a little crazy!
Pleeeease, can anyone help me? I really don't know how to work that out.
Thanks ahead!

Mark
m_sutti
New User

Re: Problems when installing iCommand

Postby Shawn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 am

m_sutti wrote:
I have encountered a problem while installing iCommand, that is when I type "java -jar icommand.jar" in the prompt command line for testing the installation, it says "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: icommand/Properties".
Mark

So you have your iCommand.properties file in your home folder.

under xp I had to put it in C:\Documents and Settings\current_user

actually, I never tested mine by running the jar. I just made a class and ran the class.

Shawn
Shawn
Advanced Member

Postby m_sutti » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 pm

So you have your iCommand.properties file in your home folder.

under xp I had to put it in C:\Documents and Settings\current_user

Actually, as the system administrator, I put it in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator, but it still doesn't work.

actually, I never tested mine by running the jar. I just made a class and ran the class.

How can I do this using the Eclipse platform? I'm a novice in java and the book doesn't explain this point thoroughly.

Mark
m_sutti
New User

Postby Shawn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:46 am

[

How can I do this using the Eclipse platform? I'm a novice in java and the book doesn't explain this point thoroughly.

Mark[/quote]

Um I just right click on the .java file when looking at it in the "navigator" window and select run as java application. You might have to open the run dialog and fiddle around there but generally you can just compile it and run it in the same stroke.

Sorry this is not so precise but I think you can figure it out.
Shawn
Advanced Member

Postby computergeek » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:23 pm

I have the same problem but I'm using OS X any help would be great
computergeek
New User

Postby bbagnall » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:56 pm

If your properties file does not exist, iCommand creates it automatically, so that probably isn't the problem.

If you get errors like NoClassDefFoundError usually it means that your code can't find the icommand.jar file. Make sure you set up your classpath properly so that it knows where this Jar is located.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby kirkpthompson » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:19 am

I am having the same problem. I checked out the manifest.mf file in the archive and the main-class: value is "icommand.Properties" and there is no class with that name in the icommand.jar archive.

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
Created-By: 1.5.0_11-b03 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Main-Class: icommand.Properties
Implementation-Vendor: nxtcommand.sourceforge.net
Implementation-Title: icommand
Implementation-Version: 0.6

Am I missing something or does the manifest have the wrong Main-Class: defined?
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby kirkpthompson » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Addendum: The installation works, just the verification (java -jar icommand.jar) as outlined in the book doesn't. This isn't a critical issue for me but neophytes could be led astray because the instructions don't produce the correct result.
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby bbagnall » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:29 pm

Which operating system is everyone having this problem with? If you are using Windows there should be absolutely no reason to use the -jar option. Please let me know how to correct the Mac OSX or Linux instructions so others don't run into the problem you were having.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby kirkpthompson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 am

I am using Windows XP SP2.
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Postby bbagnall » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:40 pm

kirkpthompson wrote:I am using Windows XP SP2.

Then why are you using a -jar parameter? There's no reason to use that. Could you point me to the page number where you see that? The only place I see a -jar command is page 152 which is clearly labeled Mac OS X and has an Apple icon next to it.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby kirkpthompson » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:08 pm

I am using the -jar parameter because I didn't read the book well enough (or it was late, or something) and missed that Mac icon and was doing it "wrong".

Sorry about that and I stand [very] corrected. :oops:
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software