Plugin delay

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Plugin delay

Postby 99jonathan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:51 am

Currently when you plug the brick into the usb cable to upload a program to it, there is a 5-10 sec delay before the brick is recognized by the computer. This means you must sit there waiting patiently, wasting time. If you are continually developing a program, running it, and debugging it, this is a considerable amount of time. Is there any way to speed up the detection? Do you know if this is a NXT software problem or lib-usb?
99jonathan

Postby lawrie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:04 pm

I suspect it is the USB software on the NXT that I wrote. I debugged it on Linux and it is instantaneous on my Linux machine. On Windows you get this delay. I suspect it is something that Windows does slightly differently to Linux in the USB enumeration of the device that is causing a timeout somewhere. If I get a chance I will try debugging it on Windows to see where the delay is occurring.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby bbagnall » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:14 pm

I get an initial delay of about 6 seconds before it recognizes the brick. After that it seems to recognize it within about 2-3 seconds. (NXJ 0.5 FW)
bbagnall
Site Admin

Return to NXJ Software