Windows 7 NXT Fantom Driver and NXJ Issues

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Windows 7 NXT Fantom Driver and NXJ Issues

Postby greygh0st » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 pm

I apologize if this is not the best place to ask for this sort of help, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have let my NXT kit collect dust for several years. Now that my son is showing interest in LEGOs, I decided to bust out the kit again. Well, I have been having a lot of trouble getting back up and running. First off, last time I used the NXT and NXJ was on Windows XP (32-bit) and now I am using Windows 7 (64-bit). I attempted to download the most recent Fantom drivers from the LEGO site, but the provided NXT drivers do not install. The installer fails with the following message:

Code: Select all
.\ConfigInfo.cpp(2869): IInstallerError 11006
Developer Error. The following errors were found in your ini file:
1. Specified file not found: [LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi] Path = Products\LEGO_NXT_Driver_64_Support\NXT_D00\LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi

Based on the error and inspection of the provided zip, I can only assume that the most recent driver provided by National Instruments is defective in some way, since it appears to reference an .msi file that doesn't exist in the zip distro.

From there, I went to google and found the only obvious source that attempts to address the problem: http://nxtemplar.blogspot.com/2009/09/connecting-to-nxt-on-windows-7-64-bit.html. I follow the directions, and the 64bit driver provided via ROBOTC installs correctly, with the NXT now being recognized correctly in Windows and the Device Manager. However, the leJOS NXJ firmware installer fails to connect to the NXT brick. Attempting to narrow down the problem, I installed the latest Bricx Command Center software to see if it could connect correctly. It can not either.

As a last resort, I fired up a Windows XP virtual machine in VMware Player and walked through the install process again for Windows XP 32-bit. Everything installed correctly and I was able to flash and upgrade the NXT firmware to the latest standard firmware LEGO makes available (this was my last guess as to the problem). It works in the Windows XP VM, but not my Windows 7 host. Worst case scenario, I use my XP VM to write the code for the NXT, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

So to recap: My original NXT (not NXT 2.0) will not communicate with my Window 7 PC, but will communicate with my Windows XP VM. It appears to be a problem with installing the correct and latest Fantom driver within Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas? What am I missing?
greygh0st
New User

Re: Windows 7 NXT Fantom Driver and NXJ Issues

Postby skoehler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:48 pm

A driver that actually installs is available here: http://www.robotc.net/support/troublesh ... driver.php
However, the download contains the Windows driver only. I have informed Lego about the issue with their download a while ago, but nothing seems to have changed. Also, I did not get any response. You should maybe also write to Lego and tell them that their download is broken.

To further debug the leJOS firmware upload problem, please open a command prompt on Windows 7, then execute nxjflash. Post the output of nxjflash here. leJOS NXJ does work on Windows 7, even though you have to install a 32Bit Java version at the moment.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software