Brick not found on every USB port

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Brick not found on every USB port

Postby fmbsg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi there,

yesterday I've downloaded lejos. It refused to install due to missing fantom driver. I went to the Lego website and downloaded the driver (It says V1.2.0, whereas I read in this board, the newest would be 1.20. Is this a "dot-problem"?)

Anyway, I've installed the fantom driver and I flashed sucessfully the brick via USB. Afterwards, the Lejos Menu appears on the brick's screen and I went to bed.

Today, I reconnected the brick to the cable, which was still plugged in the USB. But now, Windows (XP, SP3) could not find the brick. No "Lego" in the device manager. Tried this and that and finally tried a different USB-Port and now, LEGO appeared in device manager and NXJ worked and Eclipse could upload and everything's fine. Reconnected to the original port and again: no Lego device found.

Is that a known behaviour? Is there any possiblity to force the USB-port?

Kind regards
Frank
fmbsg
New User

Re: Brick not found on every USB port

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 pm

In this sort of situation it is always worth checking things with the Lego software. What happens if you use the standard Lego firmware on your PC do you see the same issues?

Where did you download the Fantom driver from?

Are any of the USB ports on your system USB 3? If so try using a USB 2 port if you have one.

Does the second USB port that you tried (and that worked) now no longer work?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby fmbsg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks for the very fast response.

What happens if you use the standard Lego firmware on your PC do you see the same issues?

Don't know since there is no Lego SW on that PC. But if the brick doesn't show up in Windows' device manager, Lego SW will also fail, or not?

Where did you download the Fantom driver from?

http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/downloads/software/ddsoftwaredownload

Are any of the USB ports on your system USB 3? If so try using a USB 2 port if you have one.

I flashed the brick initially with USB2 yesterday. Today it only works on USB3

Does the second USB port that you tried (and that worked) now no longer work?

No, it's reproducible: Connect to USB2>disappear, connect to USB3>show up.

What I find confusing is, that it was possible to flash with USB2 yesterday and since today, the brick is only visible on USB3. I checked all ports: It disappears on all USB2 ports and it shows up on all USB3 ports.
fmbsg
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 pm

That is strange. I would normally expect issues on USB 3 ports not USB 2 ones.

Note I said with the Lego Firmware not software (though you should try that as well). If you have the Lego Firmware on the NXT do you have the same issues?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am

fmbsg wrote:What I find confusing is, that it was possible to flash with USB2 yesterday and since today, the brick is only visible on USB3. I checked all ports: It disappears on all USB2 ports and it shows up on all USB3 ports.

Well, the obvious thing to try here is to flash the original Lego firmware to the NXT. Does it then show up on the USB 2.0 port again? This is possible with nxjflash. Open a command prompt and execute nxjflash -b /path/to/legofirmware. The lego firmware binary can be downloaded from Lego. Note that you have to unzip the firmware first.

If that sounds to dangerous to you, simply manually put the NXT is firmware update mode (the mode, where it starts ticking) using a paper clip or so and connect it to the USB 2.0 port again. Does it then show up in the device manager? While the brick is ticking, you can flash leJOS back again at any time.

BTW: can you tell us more about your hardware? I.e. what's the chip driving the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports? Which USB 3.0 driver is installed?
I could imagine, that the USB 3.0 driver messes with some parts of the Windows USB stack. After all, USB 3.0 is not natively supported by XP.
Do you have Windows 7 by any chance?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software