Is it possible to connect NXT by USB & Bluetooth togethe

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Is it possible to connect NXT by USB & Bluetooth togethe

Postby PatrickLismore » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:08 pm

What i am trying to investigate is while a NXT Brick is connected with a USB cable to say a Mobile phone which say controls the robot and at the same time can the same NXT brick be paired with another NXT Brick via bluetooth.

Has anyone had any kind of experience with this, I dont have two NXT's to try out. It would be really helpful if some knew if this was possible or not. If no one knows ill have to wait until i get a second NXT to try this out.

Would their be a limitation on the hardware, NXT classes that would prevent this kind of operation.

best regards
Pat
PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby lawrie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 pm

leJOS definitely supports simultaneous connections over USB and Bluetooth. For example, run nxjbrowse over USB and then do nxjbrowse -b and you will get two simultaneous connections. (don't try to use them as the LCP and File classes won't support this).

It should also be possible to have up to three simultaneous Bluetooth connections, as the hardware supports it. However, leJOS does not yet support it. The next release might but it is more likely to be the one after that.

You are unlikely to get a mobile phone that connects over USB as this requires USB host capability and a phone is only a USB slave. Most PDAs are also only slaves.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby PatrickLismore » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:04 pm

Thank you for your kind reply,

Theres nothing stopping me developing those classes that are currently not in Lejos for my own project right!
PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby roger » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:25 am

Hi Patrick,
Nothing at all. And when you get them working, the may well become part of a future release.
Roger
roger

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:58 am

Hi Patrick,
Just for your information. I'm currently working on adding support for multiple Bluetooth connections, plus various other Bluetooth enhancements. I've got most of the code written, just need to make it all work! I suspect it will no be ready for the next beta, but I hope to get the firmware updates in place so that the rest of the changes will just be new Java classes...

To help with this, does anyone have any code that lets you use the usb connection to log data. Sort of like a usb console. Having this would certainly help when trying to debug more complex applications. Having the same capability over Bluetooth would also but good (but would not help me much at the moment for obvious reasons!).

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software