HELP!!! libusb0.dll file not found

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

HELP!!! libusb0.dll file not found

Postby Tneg Terces » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi All!,
I got an NXT a little while back and wanted to switch to leJOS. I had gotten the "Maximum Lego NXT..." book. I followed its directions, downloading the software and set up the environment variables. Then I tried to upload the firmware.
First of all, nothing ever came up for me to type in "lejosfrimdl". After a little searching, I figured out that that for some reason I didn't have that file. I had downloaded version 4, and so tried downloading version three, telling it to only put in files that didn't already exist. This got me the "lejosfrimdl" file.
But now there is another problem. For some reason I also don't have the "libusb0.dll" file. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??? Is it common for files to just go missing while in download? Could someone please send me the "libusb0.dll" file? I HOPE that that is the only other file that I am missing... Thanks.

Sincerely,
Tnega Terces
Tneg Terces
New User

Update On attempting to upload firmware

Postby Tneg Terces » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:39 pm

I've been doing more research ( :lol: ) and I think I finally found the libusb stuff that I needed... However, after I put the brick in firmware upload mode and hooked it to the computer, where exactly am I supposed to type either "lejosfrimdl" or "nxjflash", and which one should I use? If I'm supposed to put it in the cmd or run windows (tried them, cmd flashed, then nothing happened), Brian should have put that explicitly in his book.
I've tried directly opening both files or typing them in the run window. Depending on whether I have my system variables labeled as "LEJOS_HOME" or "NXJ_HOME" one will be blank, and the other will say:

NXJ_HOME is C:\Program Files\lejos_nxj
Setting fmcn to 50
Checking VM C:\Program Files\lejos_nxj/bin/lejos_nxt_rom.bin ... VM OK.
Checking Menu C:\Program Files\lejos_nxj/bin/StartUpText.bin ... Menu OK.

And after that...nothing... No logo or menu appears, the computer just sits there, staring at me. And my NXT brick continues to pulse at me, showing that no firmware has been uploaded... Is there a next step that I am missing? And which label should I use for my system variables: "LEJOS_HOME" or "NXJ_HOME"?
I feel I should mention at this point that my computer runs on Windows 2000. Thus, one of the reasons why I wanted to use leJOS was because I though I would be able to run that on my computer, since it can't run the Lego software. I've downloaded the mindstorms driver from Lego, so now the computer recognizes the brick. When I go into the device manager it says: "Lego Mindstorms NXT firmware update mode". However, nothing else seems to work...
I've found the instructions link in the leJOS NXJ FAQ thread and tried them. I got as far as the lejosdl test, at which point the cmd would complain that 'lejosdl' is not a recognized command. I've tried switching my system variable names back and forth and trying 'nxjflash', but I always get the same error. What do I need to to to get the my computer to recognize the leJOS software and download the firmware on my NXT?

Lastly, a note to Brian, or any admin that cares, it seems that trouble downloading firmware (and later hooking up to Eclipse), is a standard, universal problem. You might be able to avoid further headaches in trying to solve other peoples problems by collecting all current related threads and putting them in a new, separate forum with some appropriate label, like: "Getting started: Downloading firmware and liking to Eclipse".
This forum should have three locked threads (or stickies) at the top (one for Windows, Mac, and Linux) where you put (and update) a list of detailed instructions on how to do everything from getting the leJOS and USB driver software, to firmware upload, to connecting to Eclipse. When ever someone posts a thread with a specific question, give a short reply, and add the steps they need to do to the appropriate locked thread. For example

"Step 29:...
Note: if you have just tried x and y happened, do z.
Step 30:...".

That way, when ever someone comes with a question, all the info the will EVER need will be in one of those locked threads, and you'll only have to update it like, once a month, when some newbie (like me) finds some new way of making things not work. I don't know, I just thought that would make things easier for everyone concerned...
Sincerely,
Tnega Terces
Tneg Terces
New User

Postby Tneg Terces » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Not that I think that anyone is ACTUALLY READING THIS, but I was able to solve my problem on my own. Evidently you need to put the NXT into firmware update mode after installing the libusb file....
Sincerely,
Tnega Terces
Tneg Terces
New User

Postby lawrie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:42 pm

You have at least one reader, and I am glad you have fixed your problem. It is not clear what your problem was or what fixed it. Putting the NXT into firmware update mode and installing libusb are completely independent and it does not matter what order you do them in. You should stick with leJOS 0.4 and not revert to 0.3. It is best to follow the instructions in the README.html file and use nxjflash rather that lejosfirmdl. Brian's book was written before leJOS was finished and the commands we implemented were different than the ones in the book, and the book omitted to explain that libusb was required. The lejosfirmdl and lejosdl commands were added at release 0.4 to help people following the instructions in Brian's book. lejosfirmdl tries to install libusb automatically.

leJOS is an open source project and the developers have limited time and resources. We cannot test leJOS in all possible environments, and providing the type of detailed troubleshooting guide you are asking for, is not possible.

Sticky threads of the type you mention might help, but they soon get very long and complex.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software