NXT-G and NXJFLASHG doesn't detect brick

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

NXT-G and NXJFLASHG doesn't detect brick

Postby comady25 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 am

Hi. I installed the NXT Fantom drivers and LeJOS, and now I have a problem. When I went to flash the brick, it rebooted and went into the firmware update mode. Now it won't detect it (No NXT Found). I take out battery, and clicking still happens once reinserted. I then go to NXT-G to reflash stock, but it too can't detect it. If I look in Device Manager, it appears under Serial Ports. Windows also plays the connect sound, yet nothing detects it. Until this is fixed, I now just have a clicking brick (not too useful). What should I do?
comady25
New User

Re: NXT-G and NXJFLASHG doesn't detect brick

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah, the com port driver is the wrong one. You must have, by accident, installed the driver from Windows Update at some point. You must go to the device manager and switch to Lego's driver. At some point we might add support for the com port driver, but we're busy with other things.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby comady25 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

That sounds right. How do I do that?
comady25
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:48 am

comady25 wrote:That sounds right. How do I do that?

Well, you right click the com-port in the device manager and chose Update Driver or something like it. It should show the Lego driver in the list of available drivers.
If it's not in the list, locate fantom.inf on your computer and point the Windows driver wizard at the directory that contains it.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby comady25 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm

If I do that it just says driver software is up to date. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling Fantom, but I couldn't stop Windows Update (I'm on Windows 8.1)
comady25
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 pm

comady25 wrote:If I do that it just says driver software is up to date. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling Fantom, but I couldn't stop Windows Update (I'm on Windows 8.1)

I don't have Windows 8.1. So I can't guide you through the process.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby comady25 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm

It works just like Windows 7 in aspect to Device Manager
comady25
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninstall ... rs-windows

According to this site, you have to right click the com port, chose "update driver software", and then "browser my computer ...".
That should, just like on Windows 7, give you some dialog to chose which driver to install.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby comady25 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:09 pm

The thing is is that I tried that, but it just lists it as being up to date. Is there a way I can leave the Firmware Update Mode?
comady25
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:13 pm

comady25 wrote:The thing is is that I tried that, but it just lists it as being up to date. Is there a way I can leave the Firmware Update Mode?

After your have clicked on "browser my computer ..." a new dialog should appear. There, you can click something like "Chose from a list of driver on my computer". Click that.
Then you have yet another dialog which should show a list of driver that are already on your computer. If that list doesn't include the lego driver, then click on the "have disk" button and chose the directory with the fantom.inf file in it.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby comady25 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Bingo! It turns out I had clicked the option to search the folder I had the file in. Selected the NXT Driver and flashed successfully! Thanks!
comady25
New User

Postby skoehler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 pm

comady25 wrote:Bingo! It turns out I had clicked the option to search the folder I had the file in. Selected the NXT Driver and flashed successfully! Thanks!

Yes, the first option where you specify the folder, Windows decides for you. Using the second path that I described, you can force Windows to do whatever you decide.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software