help with lejosjc

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Postby kirkpthompson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:07 am

yer welcome. I'm glad it is [sort of] working for you.

IMHO, You really need to have a functional understanding of environment variables, what CLASSPATH means to a Java environment, etc. to be functional in using Java (and thus Lejos). The author has tried to make the install as painless as possible but there is no way to anticipate every persons unique configuration of their machine. For instance, I have tweaked some of my envvars and batch files to suit my particular setup but my setup won't work for others.

The field of computer science always presents learning opportunities and like math, it's additive so you need to know basics before you go onto advanced subjects. Persistence, patience, and eagerness for knowledge is key.
User avatar
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 am
Location: New Mexico, USA

Postby lawrie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 am

Hi shortstop,

You should use nxjc rather than lejosjc (which was only added to make the instructions in Brian Bagnall's book work).

I would also do:

SET CLASSPATH=.

so your current CLASSPATH with the spaces in is wiped out and your CLASSPATH is just to to the current folder.

The problem with spaces in the CLASSPATH or %NXJ_HOME% should be fixed in the next release.

Try:

SET CLASSPATH=.
nxjc Tune.java
nxj -r Tune
lawrie
leJOS Team Member
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Postby shortstop » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:26 pm

kirkpthompson wrote:yer welcome. I'm glad it is [sort of] working for you.

IMHO, You really need to have a functional understanding of environment variables, what CLASSPATH means to a Java environment, etc. to be functional in using Java (and thus Lejos). The author has tried to make the install as painless as possible but there is no way to anticipate every persons unique configuration of their machine. For instance, I have tweaked some of my envvars and batch files to suit my particular setup but my setup won't work for others.

The field of computer science always presents learning opportunities and like math, it's additive so you need to know basics before you go onto advanced subjects. Persistence, patience, and eagerness for knowledge is key.


Sorry, i didn't think it would be too complicated to play with legos.
shortstop
New User
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:42 am

Postby kirkpthompson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Hehe. It's not if you just use the NXT-G language that comes with the NXT. Welcome to the wonderful world of pushing the limits!
User avatar
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 am
Location: New Mexico, USA

Postby shortstop » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:38 pm

kirkpthompson wrote:Hehe. It's not if you just use the NXT-G language that comes with the NXT. Welcome to the wonderful world of pushing the limits!


I know java so I figured I would just try to program it in java.

Where can I find more info on the commands like nxj [-r], nxjc
shortstop
New User
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:42 am

Postby kirkpthompson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Look at the contents of the .BAT (batch, command) files in %NXJ_HOME%\bin.
User avatar
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 am
Location: New Mexico, USA

Postby shortstop » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Fuck this shit, I quit. I'll stick to starcraft.
Motherfucking legos.

Thanks kirk, you helped alot.
shortstop
New User
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:42 am

Postby kirkpthompson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Once you get past the initial installation, things should go smoothly...
User avatar
kirkpthompson
leJOS Team Member
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 am
Location: New Mexico, USA

Postby bbagnall » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:07 am

shortstop wrote:Fuck this shit, I quit. I'll stick to starcraft.
Motherfucking legos.

Well I guess we can't win them all. Hopefully we'll be able to make NXJ easier to install in 2008.
User avatar
bbagnall
Site Admin
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Previous

Return to NXJ Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

more stuff