Problems pairing NXT with Laptop

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Problems pairing NXT with Laptop

Postby Samaneh » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to pair my NXT with my laptop (Sony VAIO) for several weeks. First I realized i have to install a Widcomm Stack, which I did and it successfully sees the NXT, but the NXT doesnt see my laptop. And when I connect to the NXT via bluetooth my NXT goes into a hang mode and i have to turn it off and on again so i can make it normal. when i press search on my NXT it doesnt find my lap top which is inches away.

I really need to get my NXT to pair with my laptop cause i have a large program and it has to run on my laptop and control the NXT via bluetooth or any other way if there is.

Oh by the way i have installed Icommand as well so i have that running as well.

I am thankful for your help.
Samaneh
New User

Postby sodaforce » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi Samaneh,

I am having the same issue with my NXT not being able to see my PC. However, there is a work-around. You can pair your NXT with your PC by first searching for the NXT and adding it to paired devices. When asked for a number use 1234 and you will be able to send programs to the NXT.

When i was using the original Lego firmware they could pair fine, but with Lejos 0.4.0 there is no joy so i think we can assume this is a bug with Lejos.

An interesting point to note though, is that even with the NXT and the PC 'paired' the NXT will still not be able to open a connection to your PC.

I am using the default bluetooth stack that was installed with WinXP SP2 not the Widcomm Stack.
sodaforce
New User

Postby lawrie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:51 am

The reason that a NXT running leJOS does not see a laptop is that the Bluetooth menu currently only looks for other NXTs -it uses a Class of Device = Toy/Robot and will not find a computer. I thought that the only device that people were likely to want to do outward connections from the NXT to, would be other NXTS, and it would be confusing to see lots of other Bluetooth devices that you could not connect to.

This will not stop the PC pairing with the NXT, so I do not understand what problem Samaneh is hitting.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby bbagnall » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:15 am

Hi Samaneh. Were you able to pair your NXT brick with your PC using the regular LEGO software? Once you pair it with that you don't have to do anything further, it is good to go.

Also, you mentioned you are using iCommand. If that is working it means your NXT brick is already paired with your PC.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby sodaforce » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Lawrie,

Thanks for your response, it explains a lot about the behavior of Bluetooth and Lejos. Does this mean though that the NXT is unable to send data that it has collected back to a PC or phone?
sodaforce
New User

Return to NXJ Software