Running HelloWorld fails

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Re: Running HelloWorld fails

Postby skoehler » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 am

I just removed the Lego driver and all native instruments software from my Windows 7 x64. Then I reinstalled the lego drivers (the one from the robotc homepage, v1.20) and leJOS 0.9.1beta-3 works just fine. No problem whatsoever with jfantom.dll.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:53 am

I've just done the same on Windows 8.1(x64) using the RobotC driver and it works perfectly there as well. I did not install a separate JRE (as the JDK comes with one). To the original poster.
Please remove all Lego software from your system. Please remove leJOS from your system. Then reinstall the robotc driver package and leJOS. Please say yes when leJOS wants to flash the firmware (you will need new firmware to run 0.9 anyway). What happens? If the flash does not work, please open up a Windows file browser and search your system for the file fantom.dll, where is it?

When you install the robotc driver it will only install correctly if you unzip the files to a directory first. Did you do this? Did you get the message saying that the driver had been installed successfully. If during the install you get any messages about missing files etc. you have not installed the driver.

Finally, you have said that you installed the driver downloaded from the Lego web site. Can you provide a link to that download? As far as I can tell the fantom driver on the Lego web site seems to be for a Mac, not for Windows. What did you download and what did you install?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Paddre » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi.

Please remove all Lego software from your system. Please remove leJOS from your system. Then reinstall the robotc driver package and leJOS. Please say yes when leJOS wants to flash the firmware (you will need new firmware to run 0.9 anyway). What happens?

If the flash does not work, please open up a Windows file browser and search your system for the file fantom.dll, where is it?

In C:\Windows\SysWOW64

When you install the robotc driver it will only install correctly if you unzip the files to a directory first. Did you do this?

Yes. I unzipped the archive and ran the installer

Did you get the message saying that the driver had been installed successfully.

Yes. The device is also listed in Device Manager as "LEGO Device" when plugged and turned on.

Finally, you have said that you installed the driver downloaded from the Lego web site. Can you provide a link to that download?

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/mindstorms/downloads/nxt/nxt-fantom-driver/

What did you download and what did you install?

I tried both, the robotC driver and the driver, provided by the link above (Of course I have installed only one at a time). I downloaded the installer provided on the link above, extracted the archive and edited the setup.ini (in path \Windows\1.2\1.2.0):
Code: Select all
Changed: Path=Products\LEGO_NXT_Driver_64_Support\NXT_D00\LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi  to  Path=Products\LEGO_NXT_Driver_64\NXT_D02\LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64.msi  in order to be able to run the installer

Then I ran the installer and deselected the driver support feature (which would not work anyway):

I don't get any errors while any installation. :cry:

What I don't understand:
    I encounter the same errors, even when the brick is unplugged
    I tried exatly the same installation procedure on three different systems (each of them runs on Win7 64 Bit)
    What do the errors wnat to tell me? I mean, someone must have implemented them, but under which circumstances to they occur?
    I guess, that the system does not detect the brick correctly, somehow, but why is it correctly listed in device manager?
Paddre
New User

Postby skoehler » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Paddre wrote:
Finally, you have said that you installed the driver downloaded from the Lego web site. Can you provide a link to that download?

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/mindstorms/downloads/nxt/nxt-fantom-driver/

What did you download and what did you install?

I tried both, the robotC driver and the driver, provided by the link above (Of course I have installed only one at a time). I downloaded the installer provided on the link above, extracted the archive and edited the setup.ini (in path \Windows\1.2\1.2.0):
Code: Select all
Changed: Path=Products\LEGO_NXT_Driver_64_Support\NXT_D00\LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi  to  Path=Products\LEGO_NXT_Driver_64\NXT_D02\LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64.msi  in order to be able to run the installer

That's very - how should I call it? - innovative. But I'm not sure what LegoMindstormsNXTdriver64Supp.msi contains and why it is needed. So don't do that.

That said, I have no idea why you bump into the problems you're seeing. Do these 3 computers have anything else in common? Virus scanner? Some software? (labview or something else from national instruments maybe?) Can the official Lego software connect to the NXT?
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Please download the dependency walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/ (32Bit!) and open the jfantom.dll that comes with leJOS.
What does it show?

This is what it shows on my system:
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby gloomyandy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Given the problems you are having I think the best thing is for you to get the standard Lego software installed and working. If you can't see the NXT with the standard Lego software you have no chance of getting leJOS working.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby Paddre » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 am

WTF.

Deactivating the Anti Virus Software (Avira AntiVir) solved the problem :roll: It was the only software, every of the three systems have in common...

Thanks a lot for your helpfulness and your patience.
Paddre
New User

Postby skoehler » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am

Paddre wrote:WTF.

Deactivating the Anti Virus Software (Avira AntiVir) solved the problem :roll:

WTF indeed. I will try to reproduce and then I have to report the problem to Avira somehow *sigh*.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby skoehler » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:59 am

I just installed Avira Free Antivirus. I can't reproduce the issues. To be precise, the product version is 14.0.3.350, the scan engine is version 8.03.18.04, and the virus definitions are version 7.11.143.98.
skoehler
leJOS Team Member

Postby Paddre » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:53 pm

:D I have got exactly the same versions.

But at least good to know, that the Anti Virus software might block the upload.
Paddre
New User

Postby Paddre » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 am

Fyi: Now it works even if AntiVir is activated. Maybe it just blocked the initial access...strange things are happening here :-D
Paddre
New User

Previous

Return to NXJ Software