[LeJOS]:Multiple Bluetooth connections on a single NXT Brick

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

[LeJOS]:Multiple Bluetooth connections on a single NXT Brick

Postby MarcellKehmstedt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Hello,

I've just read all the topics and all relevant postings in this forum, but there is still no answer for my next question:
Is it possible for a single NXT Brick running the current lejos firmware to wait for multiple incoming bluetooth connections and afterwards to concurrently communicate with multiple targets using these connections?

This is an essential requirement for my current project and I'm in big trouble if that wouldn't be possible.

Could you maybe give me a hint?!
Thank you very much!

Sincere regards,
Marcell Kehmstedt
MarcellKehmstedt
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:51 pm

The short answer is no... The Bluetooth hardware in the nxt supports up to 4 connections at once. The problem is that only one of them can be inbound, the other 3 must be outbound connections. So a single brick can have one other brick connect to it and can at the same time make connections to up to four other bricks... Probably not the answer you want bu that it is how it is...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby mdsmitty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:23 am

you could do a relay from brick to brick in a circle. that would not be hard to do. you would have a in bound from one brick and an out bound to the next and so on. the last one would connect to the firsts inbound.
mdsmitty
Novice

Postby PatrickLismore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:32 am

you could control multiple bricks via the PCand bluetooth

using Icommand and specific ports that your NXT's are connected to you could possibly achieve what your trying to do.
PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby MarcellKehmstedt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:31 am

First of all thanks for answering!

Indeed, that's really not the answer I hoped for.
And circular connections don't really help me.

Here's the situation:
I do have at least 4 NXTs driving in a labyrinth, that shall communicate with a single and central PC that coordinates their activities. So every NXT has a single incoming connection initiated from the PC.
But one of the NXTs shall have two incoming connections: one from the PC and another one from a mobile device like a notebook or mobile phone, etc.

Did I understand you correctly that it's a hardware limitation and not a problem that can be fixed by a new firmware revision?
MarcellKehmstedt
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 am

Correct,
The single inbound connection is a feature of the Bluetooth module select by Lego...

Perhaps you could reverse things and connect multiple nxt's to the PC. I've not ever tried doing this... Not sure if the nxt will ever connect to anything other than the first serial profile offered by the destination....

Good luck...

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Return to NXJ Software