uPLOADING nxt fIRMWARE

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

uPLOADING nxt fIRMWARE

Postby fnc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:01 am

I am following the instructions to Install NXT and Upload the Firmware when I ran into a problem. I have 2 NXT blocks and neither one will clear the current firmware by inserting a pin in the Reset hole for 4 seconds. No soft pulsing sound.

If I get to be able to clear the current firmware, how do I type 'nxtflash'?
fnc
New User

Postby PatrickLismore » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:47 am

hold the pin in for longer for me it took more than 4 seconds, the sound is also very faint,

make sure its on the little button and its not sitting just to the side of it keep trying i held mine in for about 10 seconds, if it didn't work i'd take the paper clip out and try again make sure the NXT is connected to the PC because your pc will let you know that its changed to the firmware upload mode.

if you have not looked at this its very helpful and answers alot of questions and pictures to.

http://www.bartneck.de/work/education/m ... index.html
PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby fnc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 am

PatrickLismore wrote:hold the pin in for longer for me it took more than 4 seconds, the sound is also very faint,

make sure its on the little button and its not sitting just to the side of it keep trying i held mine in for about 10 seconds, if it didn't work i'd take the paper clip out and try again make sure the NXT is connected to the PC because your pc will let you know that its changed to the firmware upload mode.

if you have not looked at this its very helpful and answers alot of questions and pictures to.

I finally got the NXT to pulsate, but I don't know where to enter 'nxjflash'. I have nxjflash.exe in one of my libraries, but when I run it nothing happens.
fnc
New User

Postby roger » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 am

but I don't know where to enter 'nxjflash'.

You type it in the command prompt window. If %LEJOS_HOME%\bin is in the path, the firmware should download.
roger

Postby PatrickLismore » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:33 pm

please read this

its quite clear on what you have to do man

http://www.bartneck.de/work/education/m ... stallLejos
PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby PatrickLismore » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:45 pm

if you have setup your computer environment and done everything correct

if Libusb is installed the Lejos firmware installer will proceed and hopefully complete the process with success. It should look like the image below.

PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby fnc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:18 am

This should be a simple thing to do, however my computer does seem to want to listen to me.

I am following the instructions from

Step-by-stepinstructions on how to install and run Java on your LEGO Mindstorms NXT

In the instructions it tells you to set up NXJ_HOMEas an enviroment variable and a system value NXJ_HOME with a variable value of c:java\lejos_nxj

After I enter nxtflash, I get

Error in UM file: File open/handling error

What's a guy have to do to get this working????????[/img][/list][/quote]
fnc
New User

Postby PatrickLismore » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:46 pm

can you post up your Environment Variables
============
System Variables
============
LEJOS_HOME

NXJ_HOME

JAVA_HOME

CLASSPATH
----------------------
============
User Variables
============
PATH
----------------------

also can you take a screen shot of your command prompt when you type lejosfirmdl so we can see what it says

This is really a simple process if all your environment variables are correct and you have followed the step by step process. I can understand your frustration i never got it first time round i had to check and check and make sure the paths were correct and that there was no spaces in the paths.
PatrickLismore
Active User

Postby fnc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm

User variable: JAVA_HOME C:Program Files\Java\jre1.50_06

System variable: Path C:\ibmdebug\bin;C:\WDSC;C:\WINDOW.....\Reflection\;%NXJ_HOME%\bin

NXJ_HOME: c:\java\lejos_nxt

No LEJOS_HOME entry
fnc
New User

Screen shot

Postby fnc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 pm

I can't seem to put a screen shot in tjis post
fnc
New User

Postby lawrie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:48 am

After I enter nxtflash, I get

Error in UM file: File open/handling error

There are lots of typos in your messages that make it hard to work out what is wrong. Did you type "nxjflash" or "nxtflash"?

When you typed "Error in UM file", did you mean "Error in VM file"?

What version of leJOS are you using? Is it 0.5?

It is best to cut and paste the exact message you are getting so we can work out what is wrong. From a command prompt you can copy the text by click on the "C:\" icon at the top left of the window and then use Edit and Mark to select the text and Edit and Copy to copy it to the clipboard. You can then paste it into your message.

It looks like you are failing to access the VM file which is %NXJ_HOME%\bin\lejos_nxt_rom.bin. This is either because NXJ_HOME is not set up or there is some problem with your leJOS installation.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby fnc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:36 am

I followed your instructions and 'marked' thd cmd line screen, but when I went to insert it into the reply, the paste command was greyed out.

You are rite. It is C:\java\lejos_nxj\bin>nxjflash

and Checking VM... is correct, not Checking UM...

Now I was told by Brian Bagnall the author of 'Building Robots with Java Brains' that I did not need VMWare player. Could that be the problem.
fnc
New User

Postby lawrie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:30 pm

You need to mark and then copy.

The VM refers to the leJOS Java Virtual Machine and is nothing to do with VMware.
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby fnc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I have marked the CMD screen by rite clicking on the 'C' in the upper left corner, selecting 'Mark' and hitting 'Enter'

When I come to this area to post the CMD screen and rite click, there the command to 'paste' is not available, so how do I get this CMD screen into my posting?

[/b][/list][/list][/code][/quote]
fnc
New User

Postby PatrickLismore » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:59 pm

upload you picture some where then

paste the url to that picture in your post

then add [img]before%20it%20and[/img] at the end of it
PatrickLismore
Active User

Next

Return to NXJ Software