Bluetooth GPS support for NXT on lejOS

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Bluetooth GPS support for NXT on lejOS

Postby gps4nxt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if the GPS support (NMEA parser fucntionliaty etc..) is out in leJOS. Please direct me to the correct place.

Thanks a lot.
gps4nxt
New User

Postby bbagnall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:48 pm

I think another thread in the forums mentioned this. It's not really out yet but there is an early version in Subversion:
http://lejos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... les/BTGPS/

And you also need to download the two classes in javax.bluetooth.devices. You can just take out the package line at the top and compile all the classes in the same directory.
bbagnall
Site Admin

thanks, another issue

Postby gps4nxt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 pm

hi,
thanks for that information. Back to leJOS programming. I did as you instructed, but when I tried to download the code to nxt brick, eclipse console showed an error message as follows:

"an error occurred: Class NMEASentence doesn't have a static void main(String[]) method"

Please help
gps4nxt
New User

Postby bbagnall » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 am

You need to compile and upload the example in BTGPS. If you try to upload only NMEASentence it won't work because it has no main() method. If this doesn't work for you your best bet would be to wait until the 0.6 release, which will have all these classes built.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby gps4nxt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:22 pm

hi,

thank you very much for the reply. now the project i am doing is such that the nxt brick will connect to a bluetooth GPS and obtain the NMEA sentences. Parse the lat long and altitude from that and send the data over bluetooth connection to a java midlet running on a mobile phone. But since the indexOf() method of the String class has not yet been included in the release I have downloaded I am getting many class reference problems. So I decided to just obtain the stream of NMEA sentences from the NXT to my mobile phone and let the java midlet do the parsing out of lat long and altitude info. Please suggest what I can use to establish the connection between the NXT brick and the java midlet on the mobile phone and transfer this stream of NMEA sentences collected.? I appreciate your help.

gps4nxt
gps4nxt
New User

Return to NXJ Software