RCX robot colony

This is where you talk about the RCX software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderator: roger

RCX robot colony

Postby umeshnk » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:34 am

Hi everyone,

I'm developing a robot colony which simulates ants forging behavior. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. :)
umeshnk
New User

Postby bbagnall » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:15 am

How many RCX bricks are you going to use? Are they going to talk to each other?
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby gj15987 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Sounds interesting. You're going to need alot of motors and bricks!
gj15987
New User

Postby umeshnk » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:16 am

I use around 8 RCX units for demonstartion.Yes they do talk to each other using IR. Do any protocols exists for that. I haven't found any so far. Using JAVA for programming. Another problem is avoiding obstacles...Any new ideas..

My idea is this. These guys explore an area containing landmarks and a final state. They gradually expand their terrotory until one guy reaches a final state. Then all robots start optimizing the path between the start state and final state. Optimization is that majority of the robots should take the shorter route when avoiding and obstacle.

The goal is to find an unknown location and establish a path for a more expensive robot.
umeshnk
New User

Postby Dorkwis » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:40 pm

On object avoidance: fairly easy, once you have the lejos-specific java down. Just a pair of bumpers and a pair of motors, and you're good to go. There are a large number of tutorials available for that portion of your project, and I'd tackle that as a first step. It'll also give you a sense of the bots themselves.

As for communication protocols, they do exist, although I haven't used them myself yet.

You'll also have to use some of the data-saving portions of the lejos stuff, which I haven't delved into either.

Good luck! Your project sounds fascinating, and I hope to hear how it works out for you.
"The end is important in all things." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Dorkwis
New User

Completed my Project

Postby umeshnk » Wed May 30, 2007 7:24 am

Finally I was able to finish it. Soon I will put it in the web.
umeshnk
New User

Postby PatrickLismore » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:41 am

I am developing something similar

viewtopic.php?t=525

I have two NXT's which work in parallel,

as one follows a line the other will follow the exact same path. the idea was that one robot will follow some line either a circle , square or whatever and then the other robot would draw the line that first one is following.

I am getting closer to the end.

Im using Bluetooth to send data from one NXT Brick to the other
PatrickLismore
Active User

Return to RCX Software