All USB problems... Look HERE first!!!

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

All USB problems... Look HERE first!!!

Postby pawelp » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:15 pm

I think I could help with the LCD graphics.
But I still can't install lejos on my NXT.

I have done everythink like in readme.html but I have still problem:
"NXT not found. Is it properly plugged in via USB?"

I think problem is in LibUsb, because when I start testlibusb.exe there is one device #0 without name and second with #1 - my mouse.
There is no NXT on this list.

Second strange thing is, when I start firmware update mode, my NXT brick is ticking all the time....

If I could help let me know.

Best regards
Pawel
pawelp
New User

Postby 99jonathan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:14 pm

I split this from the other topic so you can get some help faster.
99jonathan

Postby pawelp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Any idea?
Pleeeeease help me.
I am certified java programmer, using Lego NXTG is horror to me.

Best regards
Pawel
pawelp
New User

Postby 99jonathan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:20 pm

What operating system are you using?
99jonathan

Postby El Rey » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:56 pm

I am having the exact same problem. I have installed libusb on Windows XP, and I have put the NXT brick into firmware update mode but when I run nxjflash I get "NXT not found. Is it properly plugged in via USB?" Is there any way for me to check if libusb is working?
El Rey
New User

Fixed!!

Postby El Rey » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:17 am

On a hunch, I reinstalled libusb to a directory with no spaces, and when I tried to run nxjflash again... it worked! The key is to have no spaces in the directory name. I guess the principle at work here is if anything comes over to Windows from Linux, make sure you install it somewhere without spaces. I had the same problem installing MikTeX.
El Rey
New User

Postby RandyBrown » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:31 am

I am having the exact same issue. Somehow when the libusb is installed I am getting the "nxt not found" message. The NXT continues to tick, waiting for the new firmware, but somehow it is as if the computer does not even recognize that the nxt is plugged in. I uninstalled the libusb and moved it to a folder with no spaces in the folder name, but nothing has changed. Still nothing! Frustrating!
:cry:
RandyBrown
New User

Can't install lejos-USB problems

Postby roger » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Do you have the lego mindstorms software installed? does it recognize your NXT? I think it has a driver that is need to access the NXT in samba mode.
good luck
Roger
roger

usb problems with nxt

Postby RandyBrown » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 am

Success!

Thanks for your reply Roger. I do have the mindstorm software installed. Here is the trick... If you make the mistake of trying to flash lejos onto the NXT while the libusb folder is in the "Program Files" folder you get the error. If the brick has been cleared and is in upload mode when you do this you will still get the "nxt not found" error later on even after you have moved the libusb folder to folder that has a name with no spaces. What I had to do was move the libusb folder and then use a paper clip to essentially reclear the nxt brick. As soon as I did this the computer recognized the brick and nxjflash worked fine. So in a nutshell, for people who try to flash lejos with libusb in the Program Files folder are going to need to reclear the brick after they move libusb to a suitable folder.

Randy
RandyBrown
New User

Postby edalquist » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:59 am

Good topic, I just ran into the same path issue with libusb and this fixed it for me. Any chance of a note along these lines making it into the readme?
edalquist
Novice

Postby 99jonathan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 am

This seems to be a good topic. I'm stickifieing.
99jonathan

Re: Fixed!!

Postby DigitalOne » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:12 am

El Rey wrote:On a hunch, I reinstalled libusb to a directory with no spaces, and when I tried to run nxjflash again... it worked! The key is to have no spaces in the directory name. I guess the principle at work here is if anything comes over to Windows from Linux, make sure you install it somewhere without spaces. I had the same problem installing MikTeX.

Hi Everyone,

My first post but this finally fixed my issue of running nxjflash. To run nxjflash you need to put libusb in a folder path with no spaces.

Thanks for the help.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson
DigitalOne
New User

Postby bbagnall » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm going to un-sticky this since it has been up for a long time. The readme will contain a note about spaces in path names.

BTW Has anyone determined if this problem is only with a specific version of Windows or does it happen in XP too? Mine works fine with spaces in the path name for the libusb folder (it's in Program Files) and I'm using XP.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby 99jonathan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:03 am

libusb is a very strange beast. I only got mine working after reinstalling it into a directory with no spaces again (no different than before).
99jonathan

Postby DigitalOne » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:33 pm

bbagnall wrote:BTW Has anyone determined if this problem is only with a specific version of Windows or does it happen in XP too?

This happened to me on my XP machine. I had to move libUSb to a folder path with no spaces. I do all my programming on my Vista machine since the bluetooth conection works fine but I had to upload the Lejos OS with my XP machine. I didn't try libUSB from a spaceless directory on my Vista machine though, I had no need to after getting it uploaded from XP.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson
DigitalOne
New User

Return to NXJ Software