Multiple issues with Eclipse

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Multiple issues with Eclipse

Postby Mike.H » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:27 pm

I'm sorry I need very specific instructions on how to make this work as I have tried to solve it myself and believe the problem to have worsened.

When I try to run the compiler I get this error:
"variable references emtpy selection: ${project_loc}"
before I would get javac not found in internal or external something or other.

And before that the compiler would simply "terminate" (as it said in the title box just above the console window) and then the downloader would say that test.nxj not found and then print a directory to a jar file.

Here are my paths in the environment variables.

CLASSPATH --> .;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

PATH --> %CYGNUS_HOME%\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\VXIPNP\WinNT\Bin;%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%NXJ_HOME%\bin

JAVA_HOME --> C:\Program Files\java\jdk1.6.0_01
NXJ_HOME --> C:\eclipse\lejos_nxj

Please help.
Mike.H
New User

Postby bbagnall » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Where are you getting your instructions to set up Eclipse?
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby Mike.H » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:26 pm

As far as I can remember Eclipse Europa came with an installer. I just followed those instructions.
Mike.H
New User

Postby bbagnall » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm

I meant what instructions are you following to set up leJOS NXJ with Eclipse. You want to compile NXJ code with Eclipse, I assume.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby Mike.H » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:26 am

I'm using the instructions from your book. Did I miss something, or amidst all my tinkering to solve the problem did I mess something up?

I don't understand though because when I moved Eclipse to C:\Eclipse rather than C:\...\Eclipse I imported all the .jar files to the library from their new extension.

If the only clear choice is to delete everything and start over from scratch, meaning delete all Java related items and NXJ and Icommand, how would I go about doing that? I never saw any uninstallers for JBuilder, Eclipse, or Java SDK.
Mike.H
New User

Postby bbagnall » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:49 am

Follow the instructions from this document (pdf or Word) found near the bottom of this page and it should work:
http://www.variantpress.com/books/maxim ... nxt-errata
bbagnall
Site Admin

Postby Mike.H » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:50 pm

I think I may have located the problem. On the PDF files I downloaded from the link you gave me it says to download and install a Java SDK. I noticed that the only java elements on my computer are JDKs and JREs, I already know the JRE is not what you want but I don't know the difference between JDK and SDK. I can take a guess from the most likely possibility their accronyms stand for and I'm thinking that JDK just doesn't have something that the SDK does.

Anyways, I looked on java.sun.com to download an SDK and all the different Javas I found I couldn't make heads or tails from, there are just too many accronyms. I found "Java EE 5 SDK." It seemed off to me because the minimum requirement was version 1.5 so I figured they might have come out with at the MOST a 2.1 by now, certainly not all the way up to 5.

Is there a specific link to the newest version of the most appropriate SDK you could share with me?

Thanks a lot.
Mike.H
New User

Postby Gof » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:54 pm

Mike.H wrote:I think I may have located the problem. On the PDF files I downloaded from the link you gave me it says to download and install a Java SDK. I noticed that the only java elements on my computer are JDKs and JREs, I already know the JRE is not what you want but I don't know the difference between JDK and SDK. I can take a guess from the most likely possibility their accronyms stand for and I'm thinking that JDK just doesn't have something that the SDK does.

Anyways, I looked on java.sun.com to download an SDK and all the different Javas I found I couldn't make heads or tails from, there are just too many accronyms. I found "Java EE 5 SDK." It seemed off to me because the minimum requirement was version 1.5 so I figured they might have come out with at the MOST a 2.1 by now, certainly not all the way up to 5.

Is there a specific link to the newest version of the most appropriate SDK you could share with me?

Thanks a lot.

SDK means Software Development Kit.

But in java terms you want the JDK, which is the Java software Development Kit, hence JDK. It is the SDK for java.
The JRE is only the java runtime engine, and therefore isnt enough for any development only execution of compiled code.

*EDIT*
Ups forgot the link:
Get the JDK here

/Gof
Gof
New User

Postby bbagnall » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Mike, you are fine. You have version 1.6 of the SDK or JDK or whatever we want to call it.

The problem is probably that you have it installed to Program Files, which has a space in it. This is a bug with our batch file, which should be corrected in the next release.

For now you can just install the JDK to a directory with no spaces, or if you don't want to do that you can edit the batch files in lejos_nxj\bin so the SET commands don't have "s in them.
bbagnall
Site Admin

Return to NXJ Software