Macintosh OSX on the way?

This is where you talk about the NXJ software itself, installation issues, and programming talk.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Macintosh OSX on the way?

Postby madwhistler » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:05 am

Greetings Brian and the great LeJOS team,

I see alpha DL's for Win and Linux, anyone working on an OSX port thus far? Anyone tried compiling the Linux version under a recent OSX and seeing how far it gets?

Many thx,
-Larry/madwhistler
madwhistler
New User

Postby lawrie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I think the build should work on OSX as long as you have ant and libnxt on your system.

I have seen one report of someone building and running it successfully on OSX - see https://www2.blogger.com/comment.g?blog ... 6052451517

Lawrie
lawrie
leJOS Team Member

Postby DrAnonymous » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:21 am

Has there been any more effort at getting this as part of the official releases? I'd hate to see lejos not running on the NXT with OSX, especially since OSX is supported from LEGO.

DrA>
DrAnonymous
New User

Postby DrAnonymous » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:14 am

I was able to get it to work on my OSX machine. :)

Is there someone I can send the binaries to, so that non technical users can just download a release like windows users?

Mine is only a PPC binary, I'm not sure how to produce a universal binary or to crosscompile for Intel.

Dr.A>
DrAnonymous
New User

Postby bbagnall » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for that, Mr. A. We'll update the documentation for the next alpha
release to include MAC OSX and also look into creating binaries for MacOSX (none of us own a Mac).

We're a little worried we might break things for Mac and be unaware of this since we can't test it, so I'm wondering if you would want to be the tester for pre-releases to make sure we release stuff that works for Mac?
bbagnall
Site Admin

Have it working now...

Postby madwhistler » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm

OK, I was also able to get it compiled and working, though I haven't done much testing. One gotcha is that the Lejos bin directory needs to be added to the PATH variable, either in a makefile or before running, since the lejos bin commands call each other. Looking forward to that bluetooth!
madwhistler
New User

Postby sommersohn » Wed May 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Hi,
I've also testet building lejos on OS-X.
The very first thing I did was to install the XCode-Tools of my MAC Install Disk. They include gcc, make and ant.
java and javac resist in the Folder /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands
that's why there is no bin-Directory. Therefore I made a symlink to it (ln -s Commands bin).
After that I downloaded the libusb package and extracted it. I followed the instructions of the INSTALL file. That was running ./configure, make an make install.
Now I changed to the lejos_bin/build/ folder and there I executed ant.
There was no failure and the binaries (including runjava) where build in the lejos_nxj/bin dir. Now I copied lejos_nxj to /opt/local/bin and configured all the system environment stuff. I had to set the env.-variables in the ~/.profile file, because I don't know how to set environment-variables in MAC-OSX. After that I could compile, link and upload a program.
8)
sommersohn
New User

Return to NXJ Software