Unable to find brick?

This is where you talk about the NXJ hardware related topics such as the brick, sensors, LEGO pieces, etc.

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

Unable to find brick?

Postby tummychow » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:14 pm

No matter what I do, leJOS seems to be unable to find my nxt brick.
I'm using the driver, verrsion 1.02. (What am I supposed to use, the Fantom driver or just the "driver"? Nothing seems to answer this question.) It seems to have installed correctly; when I go into the device manager, I can see the NXT. However, lejos never ever finds it. I use eclipse; whenever I attempt to do so, it complains of a transmit error and the brick goes completely unfound. I attempted to flash the firmware, but more disaster occurred: when I started nxjflash.bat, it sent the nxt into samba mode and then proceeded to do nothing for several minutes. I eventually gave up and killed the batch file, but now the NXT is stuck in samba mode and it can't be found by the computer! What's going on?
PS: I know I don't have much specifics on the state of the nxt, but I've tried several times to fix this and nothing works. I can get specifics on the driver or anything, if you tell me where to look.

EDIT: OK, currently I managed to reflash the firmware. Flashing firmware works... connecting to the successfully flashed NXJ firmware does not. The "driver details" in device manager identify fantom.sys as the driver for the nxt, which I believe is the norm. However, winusb.sys is missing.... does the NXT need this to connect?
tummychow
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 am

So what version of Windows are you running? What command are you trying to run to connect to the nxt? What error message to you get? Have you tried using the command line tools, so for instance does nxjbrowse work from a command window?
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby tummychow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:14 am

WIndows 7 32-bit. The JDK I'm using is 32-bit.
The upload command is the Eclipse "Upload Program to NXT Brick" context menu command. (When you right-click on the source files)
Error is (Eclipse plugin settings are non-verbose):

Failed to load USB comms driver: Cannot load USB driver
Failed to find any NXTs
Failed to connect to any NXT
Something went wrong when trying to upload the program to the brick

I haven't yet tried the command line tools; I installed the eclipse plugin specifically to avoid having to do so. I'm not sure how to use them, to be honest.
tummychow
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:56 am

Are you sure you only have 32bit Java installed? It sounds to me like Eclipse is using a 64bit version of Java... See this thread...
viewtopic.php?t=2395&highlight=cannot+load+usb+driver+eclipse
To use the command line tools you simply open a cmd window and type nxjbrowse... You could always read the tutorial which tells you how to use these tools.
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby tummychow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:10 am

I'm extremely certain that I have JDK in 32-bit; I'm on a 32-bit OS so I doubt 64-bit jdk would work on x86 architecture. I'm also not aware of how to identify one over the other, and installing the JDK is quite a hassle for my computer.
If I use nxjbrowse, I seem to be able to find the NXT, but the status reads "DISCONNECTED", even when I turn the NXT on and plug it in. I can connect to it and read the files. This does suggest to me that the problem is eclipse, but I'm not really sure at this point.
tummychow
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 am

If nxjbrowse can connect and view the files on the nxt then you have a working install of the basic leJOS and the Fantom driver. If things don't work in Eclipse then you need to look at how to set that environment up. There are lots of threads on the forum about how to do that...
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby tummychow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 am

Alright, I feel like an idiot. Specifying your own packages never seems to work for command line. It was because I had a package declaration in the file that was screwing up the compilation's class path.
Sorry for all that wild goose chasing... I probably should have caught this earlier. :oops:
tummychow
New User

Return to NXJ Hardware