replace firmware on NxtCam

Post your NXJ projects, project ideas, etc here!

Moderators: 99jonathan, roger, imaqine

replace firmware on NxtCam

Postby cs07cc4 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I want to replace the fireware of the nxtCam with the nxtcam_avr_source-mergeobjects fireware fron the svn code.Can anybody help?
cs07cc4
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi,
So what have you done so far? Replacing the NXTCam firmware is a pretty tricky operation and you can end up with a non functional sensor when you have finished! Have you read any of the advanced tutorials over on the mindsensors site? What sort of experience do you have with this sort of low level programming?

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby cs07cc4 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi
I tested the nxtCam tracking with nxtcamview and the results are not too good.The object i track sometimes is broken in several blobs.I thought replacing the firmware with the nxtcam_avr_source-mergeobjects will help for merging the blobs.I know C programming but i dont wont to spent time with writing my own firmware ,this will be difficult.
If i replace the firmware i would be able to use the lejos api?
I want to write a object following program for my nxt.
cs07cc4
New User

Postby gloomyandy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately these are not easy questions to answer. The NXTCam actually contains two processors each of which is re-programmable. One looks after the camera the other performs system start up and handles communications with either PC or the NXT. If the communications device needs to be reprogrammed then the leJOS API will not work (a new driver will be required). If only the main camera processor is re-programmed then the leJOS API may continue to work. Without spending time (which I'm afraid I don't have), looking at the code then I can't really say for sure. I would suggest that you contact the author of the modified firmware that provides the functions that you want. His blog can be found here...
http://mightor.wordpress.com/page/10/
and I think you can contact him from this page...
http://mightor.wordpress.com/about/

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you get on!

Andy
gloomyandy
leJOS Team Member

Postby cs07cc4 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanx Andy.
Have you Know a good way to implement object following robot?
with a PID controller maybe?
I did some search on the internet but i didn't find anything to help me
cs07cc4
New User

Return to NXJ Projects